Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1988 Moto Four restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1988 Moto Four restoration

Howdy folks. I purchased a 1988 Yamaha moto four 225cc this past winter and am finally getting around to spending some quality time on it. It was in surprisingly great shape. Everything worked. It needed swing arm bearings and a battery. I changed the bearings and purchased a battery and after some rewiring, I was able to get the electric start working again.

As you can see from these pics, the plastics, while in good shape, are weather worn and faded. Its spent a lot of time in the elements and hasn't been stored much.

How do I go about restoring the look of the plastics? It has a lot of dark spots baked into the plastic. I've been told anything from bleach to oven cleaner. What would you guys use?

Old 08-29-2017, 02:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 325 Likes on 317 Posts

Unless your machine is to be a static exhibit, do not paint it. I suspect you already know this but there will be those on here who insist you can. Lightly polishing with cutting compound may work, but plastic "burns" at lower temps than paint so be careful. If all else fails, vinyl wrapping will work.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had my plastic painted with automotive paint [on my Kawasaki] looks great.