Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

No electricity to gauges or bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 12:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No electricity to gauges or bike

Grizzly 700 2007. Mud bike.

Who had the bike before me reran a lot of the wires including the battery cables. Problem is he did not use red and black cables. I reconnected the battery but since they were not red and black I guessed wrong. I did not hear any pop or anything and the battery is strong at 12.7v. I have a good connection to the battery. Light bar and speakers work. Winch, gauge cluster, and motor have zero signs of life. The speakers have their own cables that go to the battery. Winch has its own cables to battery.

I traced the battery cable to a main box thing and it has power there. Getting the front plastics off are a nightmare that I've been fighting due to the amount of wiring and tubing for the radiator and speakers.

Any ideas on what could be stopping the power from getting to the bike and gauge cluster? Any help would be appreciated seeing how I don't know where to go from here.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

With luck, it should be the main fuse, no experience of big Yams but all the smaller ones have a main fuse on the solenoid. This will blow if you reverse battery terminals as you get a direct short through the voltage regulator. Tie some red insulation tape round the positive lead to the battery so you won't do it again.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes. And since you state that is a mud bike, you really should be going through that bike and cleaning all the chassis ground connections as well as using dielectric grease on all the connectors. The grease will help better seal those connectors to help keep dirt and water out.

I know you are indicating the 12.7V, which is a good reading, but how long did you leave those cable connected and try and start the bike? I had a situation where my my replaced stator wires rubbed through and were grounding out. Ultimately, that ruined my battery even though I was getting a volt meter reading across the battery posts at 12.5V. My battery could run a load and a load test proved out my battery was bad and needed to be replaced.

Point is, always get batteries load tested so you know exactly what you are dealing with.