Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Anthony19
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Wont Start

I have a 2007 Raptor 350. lately it has not been starting with the electric start.. It cranks, has compression, and doesn't sound to bad but we just cant get it to start. Then we bump started it and it started right up, I rode it for a while then shut her off. I went back to it 5 mins later and it started right up and runs great. then we let it sit for about 2 hours and it started right up. we left it over night and the next morning it wouldn't start up again and we repeated the process. We tried a new spark plug, filters, sprayed carb cleaner and tried jump starting it. I cant seem to figure this out. Does anyone have the same problem or have an idea of what it could be? any idea how to fix it?

Old 10-08-2017, 02:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

How much compression? Bikes get bad to start if compression is down, Could be not enough valve clearance, on some bikes clearance increases when hot, so a cold engine looses compression, the little 80cc Yamaha is particularly prone to this. Other possibility, if it has a carburettor, is choke not working.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Anthony19

It seems like enough compression but that could be an issue because when we brought it home to our garage from a shed it started right up for days right after the intial bump start.. What would be a solution to this? also its never started when we used the choke and when we took off the air filter and looked into the intake there a flap that we think is the choke and when we use the choke it doesn't move.. not sure if thats supposed to be like that.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

You can't see the choke mechanism from the intake. It may be best to get someone to check compression, and the carburettor, as the CD carb can be a bit tricky to sort out if you are not used to working on carbs.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Anthony19

Alright I think that's the road i have to take.. thank you for your help