Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 350 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Country Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 350 question

Hey everyone!

So one of my quads is a raptor 350. So It starts up pretty well and I can start riding. However, randomly while riding it will just stall. When I am riding, sitting still, to hitting the throttle, it stalls. This part of it sounds like a pilot jet in the carburetor to me.

However, if I hold in the clutch, its perfect! I could sit there holding in the clutch forever and it would never stall. This would have nothing to do with the pilot jet. Some reason it runs a ton better with a new spark plug too (This really confused me).

So what does everyone think the problem is?

Old 03-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

I would check the carb give it a good cleaning install a new inline fuel filter and only use non exegenated gas and see what that does for you

Old 03-19-2018, 09:37 AM
Country Rider

Originally Posted by Jered651
I would check the carb give it a good cleaning install a new inline fuel filter and only use non exegenated gas and see what that does for you
Thanks for the reply. Not that long ago I had someone rebuild the carb and I replaced the fuel line. I also only run rec. gas.

Ill wait for other reply/ do more research but thanks.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

When new to mending quads, I had an Arctic Cat that would come in non running, and would be back to normal once I fitted a new plug. Did it several times before the owner said "it runs better with the lights on." I then checked the battery voltage with it running and found the voltage regulator was overcharging, about 18v if I remember rightly, so ever since, if I get a "faulty plug" I always check the voltage to ensure overcharging isn't causing the plug to cook itself.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:35 AM
Country Rider

Originally Posted by merryman
When new to mending quads, I had an Arctic Cat that would come in non running, and would be back to normal once I fitted a new plug. Did it several times before the owner said "it runs better with the lights on." I then checked the battery voltage with it running and found the voltage regulator was overcharging, about 18v if I remember rightly, so ever since, if I get a "faulty plug" I always check the voltage to ensure overcharging isn't causing the plug to cook itself.
Thanks for the reply. I have never tried it with the lights on. Im going to check into what you said. What is the best solution to this problem?

Old 03-21-2018, 04:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Check voltage across the battery with engine running, if it goes over 15v you need a new voltage regulator. If it stays between 13v and 15v your problem is elsewhere.

Doesn't matter if the carb was rebuilt recently, if dirt gets in, it will need cleaning out.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:06 AM
Country Rider

Check voltage across the battery with engine running, if it goes over 15v you need a new voltage regulator. If it stays between 13v and 15v your problem is elsewhere.

Doesn't matter if the carb was rebuilt recently, if dirt gets in, it will need cleaning out.
Thanks for the help. I will see if I have time to test it tonight.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:25 PM
Country Rider

Hey. So I tested the battery first while it was off and it came to 11.6V (and its a 12 volt battery). So I started it up and it settled on 14.2 volts. Does this mean that part is ok?

If so, would that mean that it is a carburetor problem then?