Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Found the problem, need help - 1993 350 Yamaha Big Bear

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found the problem, need help - 1993 350 Yamaha Big Bear

I had to replace the cracked manifold on my Big Bear, and was still having problems with it getting flooded shortly wafter under power. I replaced the carburetor and it seems fine.

But it's huffing fluid all over including down into the air box. The source appears to be the "crankcase breather tube" and this fluid is getting sucked up into the rh air box tube and it runs all over.

I put a clear hose over this crankcase vent tube and it blows fluid all over. Could this be resolved by cleaning/replacing the oil filter? Thanks.

/Users/admin/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Masters/2018/08/30/20180830-121949/DSCN1517.JPG

Old 08-30-2018, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I have good news and bad news.

Good news I found out why the vent tube is sucking up fluid.

Bad news is because the crankcase was full of gas!

Everything is drained including the lines up to the radiator, the oil filter is caked full of crap. I only have 340 miles in the past 25 years and it hasn't run other than being started a couple times in the past 10 years.

Evidently the rubber sleeve in the manifold cracked and tipped the carb down and I was always having gas running into the air box. Got a new manifold and carb, I'll order a new filter, let everything dry out, and see if I can salvage it.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Check the tube from the bottom of the carb float bowl, I suspect it may be blocked or lifted above float level. For that much fuel, I think the float needle may have stuck, allowing fuel to overflow in the carb, but this should run out of the overflow pipe before getting to a level where it can enter the airbox. Suzukis don't have this pipe and you get lots of Suzuki owners with flooded airboxes.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Check the tube from the bottom of the carb float bowl, I suspect it may be blocked or lifted above float level. For that much fuel, I think the float needle may have stuck, allowing fuel to overflow in the carb, but this should run out of the overflow pipe before getting to a level where it can enter the airbox. Suzukis don't have this pipe and you get lots of Suzuki owners with flooded airboxes.
Thanks merryman, actually I bought a new carb and then realized the manifold with the rubber "tube" that held the ends together had cracked which caused the carb to tilt down more. I'm sure this caused the float to sit incorrectly and allow fuel to run all over. My new manifold fits great and hold the new carb level.

I'm ordering a new oil filter and the crankcase should be dried out by the time it gets here. At least it should have gotten a good flushing out!