Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Beartracker Gear Case Plug Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Beartracker Gear Case Plug Leak

Hey everyone I cant seem to find any answers to my problem, hoping for some help. I have a 2004 Yamaha Beartracker 250. I have an issue where my plug (don’t know name) on the middle top back of gear case where the transmission halves merge was leaking. I was actually able to push it down but it comes back up from presssure when engine cranked. The snap ring that holds the plug doesnt look like original but i put an O ring under it to hold pressure and it literally blew the whole plug off from pressure. My question is: is this plug suppose to have a lot of pressure under it like this? And what is the purpose of this plug and what is directly under it to cause so much pressure? The manual or any parts diagram doesnt acknowledge this plug or the snap ring holding it so im real puzzled at all this. I can see oil when plug came out and the oil level slowly goes back down into engine when not running. My PVC valve is hooked up and patent as should be and my gear box vent and hose is hooked up and just freely open to air. No oil comes out of any of the other hoses and this oil leak/ pressure problem has happened with low oil and when engine full of oil. Any help with this is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys! Pictures of plug attached.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:51 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Checking to see what I can find on this for you. I did come across a owner manual you should be able to download for free. Not sure if it's a 2004 model version, but pretty sure a lot of it is the same. I'll try to confirm the year on the manual while I'm checking.

Owner manual.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Response

thank you. I have looked through all the manuals pretty thoroughly and i can’t find mention of this plug but it’s possible it went overlooked. Your help is appreciated.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

This is what I was looking for. This is the service manual. May be able to tell you what the part is, and what it may need.

Service manual.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the service manual link but this is what I have looked over pages by page and can’t seem to find an answer.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:03 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

From what I can tell, it's considered part of the crankcase. Still looking for more info.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Searching crankcase plug, I see a few things. Some look threaded, some are just plugs. From the looks of this picture of the crankcase, it's a metal plug with a c-clip.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yea that’s correct, thanks. I just don’t know what it does and is it suppose to be under so much pressure.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:41 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

May just be an inspection plug. The way it's clipped in, it looks like it does have some type of pressure on it. How much, I couldn't tell you.

Hopefully we'll get someone in here with a little more experience on these than I have.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Your second picture shows a big fat breather tube from the cam chain cover, and a smaller breather from just behind the plug you wrote about. Both these breathers take the pressure built up as the piston descends, and blows it into the airbox. Any blockage results in higher pressure in the crankcase, so if the gearbox and crankcase run in the same oil, pressure will build up in both crankcase and gearbox. The breathers have difficulties in shifting 250cc of air out and in, every rev of the crank anyway, so there is a bit of pressure in the crankcase.

Quick Reply: Yamaha Beartracker Gear Case Plug Leak