Yamaha YFM100 Champ rear axle - Page 2 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha YFM100 Champ rear axle

Old 10-30-2018, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Just had a little set back, went out to check the oil level in the chinese rear axle and it was grease on the stick. I can just think of two possible reasons. Either the manufacturer used grease in stead of oil or previous owner "fixed" leaking by draining the oil and fill up with grease. What do you think? The axle is identical to my other champs original axle with a oil drain plug under and a oil level stick on the top plug.

if its made by previous owner, how can i get the grease out to fill with oil again?

How bad is it to drive with grease if it should be oil? It will not drive many miles in a year.
That's great that the parts match up.

If the PO put grease in there cuz the original oil leaked out the seals, that makes sense. That is commonly done
with rototillers. The problem is if the grease is too thick and does not provide adequate lubrication since it does not
circulate well. What I would do is add some oil to the rear end so that it mixes with the grease to form a slurry. You may
want to drain out what you can after a few hours use, then refill with more oil. Do that when it is warm.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Its still on the chinese atv so I dont know if it fits yet. But if it fits then I will do as you say, it feels more correct to use oil even if I have to fill it up sometimes.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Its still on the chinese atv so I dont know if it fits yet. But if it fits then I will do as you say, it feels more correct to use oil even if I have to fill it up sometimes.
It is indeed more correct to use oil. Just use oil that is thick enough not to leak out. If 90W gear oil leaks out, then going
to something thicker is called for. Or change the seals.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Getting grease out is almost impossible without stripping the whole thing. However the problem with grease is it sits where it is put rather than flow into bearings and gears. Topping up with oil will both "melt" the grease and flow into the bearings, etc, to lubricate them.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:40 AM
Range Rover

When you take it apart to put new seals in it you will get it clean with a parts washer. If you are going to go threw all the work of switching it take it to the next level and replace the seals and check bearings

Old 11-01-2018, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yesterday I took a little time to start the project. Removed the rear end off the chinese and first thing I noticed was that the drive shaft was different. Thought that this was the end of the project when it turned out to only be one side that was different, so I could use the original shaft. Made a quick try to put it on but its ca one millimeter to small where it connects with the chassie so I will have to use a grinder. A little concerned if there will be a tension on the shaft by some reason. That will proberbly not be detecteble until it breaks?

Now Im waiting for some parts that was broken by PO but there is still good hope that this could work.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Its on! Cant say it was a easy fit but with some blood and sweat it worked. Its to early to say its a succes all the way but this was a big step forward.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Range Rover

Have to do any mods?

Old 11-09-2018, 03:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Jered651 View Post
Have to do any mods?
Not really but it was a little bit to tight at the connection to the chassie so I had to use a grinder and I didnt want to grind to much so it was many "on and off" attemps before it was right. Then the holder for the brakewire is to small so I have to think of something to fix it.