Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

adjusting shocks (banshee)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2001 | 07:02 PM
|
Pro Rider

What are the adjustments that can be done on the back stock shock of a banshee? how does each adjuster (3?) affect the suspension?

I think there is 3 adjustments, the rebound above the shock but still connected, one on top of the shock that is treaded, and one **** thing on the bottom of the shock that clicks when you turn it. am i right?

now how do i go about adjusting them, what does each do, and what do you recommend setting them at.

im 135lbs and when i sit on it, it just sags alittle too much, (to close to the tires), i would like it to sit alittle higher in the back end, (lift it up alittle more).

can someone give me advise?

also i cant get the thing on top of the shock, the treaded thing with notches in it, to turn. i hit it with a screw driver and hammer, nothing seems to work. what should i try doing? i didnt try any type of plyers or vice grips, because i dont think any would fit around the thing you turn.

help me out. thanks

Old 04-25-2001 | 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you're right (I had never seen the dampening one (the clicker down).
Top clicker is compression, low clicker is dampening, and threaded is preload.
To higher the quad, you want to tighten more the preload. To do so, the screwdriver and hammer works fine. Untighten the first one (the smaller, his role is to lock the other one), and then tighten the big one (directly in contact with the spring).
If a regrease could be welcome, I'd recomend you to do this on a table (take the shock out of the quad), it's so much easier!!

Old 04-25-2001 | 11:30 PM
|
Pro Rider

alright got that, but what does compression mean on a shock? harder to compress when clicked to the right? so that would mean i would take hits from ruts and rocks harder, but when jumping save myself from bottoming out?

what does the dampner thing do though? what would hardly any dampning do and what would a lot of dampning do?

Old 04-25-2001 | 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

you're right about compression.

dampening is the "speed" it will come back up. If you screw in the dampening at max, then the rear end will come back up slowly (absorbing shocks), but if you hit several in a row, it will bottom out and be quickly out of control.
If you loosen it to the max, the shock will act like a spring (means that it will throw your rear wheels in the rear when coming back up).
I'm axageerating, but you should get the picture.

Old 04-26-2001 | 06:05 PM
Range Rover

Zorro, both of the adjustments refer to dampening. The one on the resivoir is the compression dampening and the one on the bottom is the rebound dampening. Compression dampening dampens the downward movement of the suspension like when landing from a jump. If you have a bottoming problem, you can usually increase the compression dampening some until it stops. You may also have to increase the preload a little too if it is severe. Rebound dampening refers to how fast the suspension will recover from a compressed state. Too little and your ATV will tend kick up in the rear in the whoops. Too much rebound dampening will cause the suspension to "pack up" through long rythmn sections which severely limits the travel. Preload refers to how much tension is on the spring when the shock is in the fully extended position. The more you shorten the spring with the collars at the top, the more preload you have. More preload makes the suspension stiffer. Thats just a brief overview. The best thing to do is just experiment and find what works best for you and your style of riding. Hope this helps.

Old 04-26-2001 | 10:10 PM
|
Pro Rider

any advise on getting that treaded collar on top of the shock loose, so I can tighten the one below it?

i hit it with a hammer and screwdriver, and i am already pounded a line into the collar pretty deep.

it just wont budge!

Old 04-26-2001 | 10:14 PM
|
Pro Rider

oh yeah forgot to say thanks for all the other advice you gave me on adjustments, zorro and raptorzone.