Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Any problem with using synthetic oil in Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2001, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed my oil yesterday with Mobil 1 20W-50 Fully Synthetic. Is there any problem with the clutches when using the synthetic oils?

Old 04-28-2001, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

First off you should never ever use car oil in a quad or motorcyle!!!! It will fry your clutch. Its a friction thing. I have alway's used Yamalube 20-40 in my Raptor. Also if this the first time you have changed your oil I would suggest you change it again, mainly because the motor has not worn itself in yet. It would say wait atleast till the third or fourth oil change b4 you run syntheci(?) oil in it. That way all the tolerance's will be where they should be. I change mine every ten hour's so it won't take me long to reach that point. Also I would suggest runnig Sikoline they have great product's. Just my thought's on it.

Raptor blue
GYT-R FULL SKIDS
GYT-R HEEL GUARDS
GYT-R HEADLIGHT GUARDS
GYT-R SHOCKCOVERS
GYT-R HOUR/TACH METER
GYT-R CARBON FIBER PIPE
GYT-R BLUE STROBE GRAPHIC'S AND SEAT
RENTHAL BARS
GRAYDON PROLINE NERFS
LONESTAR +2 AXLE
STAINLESS BRAIDED STEEL RADIATOR HOSES

Old 04-28-2001, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

I should have specified which oil I'm using. It's the Mobil 1 V-Twin 4 stroke motorcycle oil. Its JASO certified. They say it's for motorcycle, ATV and dirt bike applications. I just didn't know if there was something special about the Raptor clutches.

Old 04-29-2001, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer

There's nothing special about the clutches. I've been running Motul 20w-50 Semi-synthetic in mine since early spring with no problems. During the winter I ran Valvolene 10w-30 (plain automotive type) in it, again no problems.

Old 04-29-2001, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

I don't have a Raptor but most likely the manual will say not to use oils that are rated as "Energy Conserving" because they contain friction modifiers that MAY cause clutch slippage. The manual probably doesn't specifically address synthetics. Good luck finding an automotive oil that doesn't have that rating. That being said, NEVER in ANYTHING I have owned have I ever had a clutch slip from using a synthetic oil. I buy cases and cases of Mobil 1 oil for everything I own to include cars, truck, ATVs and a lawn tractor. I'll take the added protection of synthetics at the risk of the mysterious and elusive clutch slippage.

Old 04-29-2001, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

GuyRaptor, how dd you get that pic of my bike to put on your webpage

Old 04-29-2001, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have another email account because someone else emailed me from a different account than what you show and said it was their pic. I got it from another web page that had tons of Raptor pics. I wish I could find that page again but now that I've looked I can't.

Old 04-29-2001, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

First off, I don't own a Raptor, but I believe it is a dry clutch setup. Just like an automobile. Therefore no oil bath for the clutch, no slippage. It is true that on auto clutched units some synthetics are not recommended. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a Raptor though.

Just my 2 cents on this subject.

Old 04-29-2001, 11:34 PM
Range Rover

The Raptor has a wet clutch and any oil over the rating of CD is not recommended. That pretty much rules out most if not all automotive synthetics. If you want to run synthetic oil, run a synthetic made for motorcycles.

Old 04-30-2001, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Better check you Yama-lube then... They are all CF rated and so is most of the other Synth motorcycle oils.

Mobile 1 15w-50 (car) and the V-twin 20w-50 is CF rated just like the other motorcycle oils. BUT the other Mobile 1's weights DO contain friction additives which are NOT recommended for wet clutches (CS rated and above).

-Brad D-

Quick Reply: Any problem with using synthetic oil in Raptor?