Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yamaha 250 timberwolf only starts if the neutral light is off

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yamaha 250 timberwolf only starts if the neutral light is off

picked up my third timberwolf 250 for my daughters. these are great light weight little quads.

have a strange one for you. the quad will NOT start in neutral. it will start in first.

if i lift up on the gear selector just enough to hear the little click (its not loud, sounds like a contact clicking, perhaps the neutral safety switch?) the light will go out, but it won't yet be in first either. that is how i have shown my daughter to start it and she can.

another piece of info, it feels like there is another detent below neutral.

id like to carry out whatever repair is needed. i have the pdf of the shop manual but it doesn't really have a flow through diagram.

any help appreciated! thank you.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 344 Likes on 335 Posts

The lock-out is connected to the neutral light, so the electronics are at fault not the selector mechanism. Yamaha take the prize for the most stupidly over complicated lock out of any Quad I know (and Suzukis are bad enough). I haven't a diagram for the Timberwolf, perhaps you could put it up on here, but the 350s etc seem to wire the whole thing through the CDI for no apparent reason. There will be a diode or extra relay in the neutral light circuit which can give trouble. Often brake lights are wired in too, so you can override the neutral light lock out if you have the brake on, may be worth trying that.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only Timber Wolf's I've seen have manual transmission.If it was an automatic I'd say adjust the trans.llinkage maybe manual has linkage also.