Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is My Raptor Motor Junk Know after 4 hours!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 08:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting ready to do some mods on my New Raptor that I have driven for a total of 4 hours through some sandy conditions and I open the airbox and the Filter is broken allowing dirt into the motor!!! Look at the picture and tell me what you would do!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to call the dealer I bought it from tomorrow and tell him I want a new motor or a new bike!!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

Mac

Old 04-30-2001, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

I dont see where its broke

Old 04-30-2001, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Nevermind i do now

Old 04-30-2001, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Its worth a try, chances are they'll take the bike, inspect the engine, if they do not see a problem you'll get the same engine back, hate to say it but thats how it is, it still runs correct? I doubt they'll give you a new motor or bike, mabe replace anything if its extremely worn from the sand, they'll definetly replace the airfilter frame, but I wouldnt get your hopes up.. Hate to burst your bubble but if there is no apperent damage to the innards of the motor and it still runs right then I doubt they'll fork over a new bike/engine..

Old 04-30-2001, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

Dude, that is seriously bad luck. I hope EVERY raptor owner sees this and learns a lesson. The stock filter/airbox is CRAP. you would think they would improve it from the warrior. If this doesn't inspire every owner to at LEAST get the pro design pro-flow kit, nothing will. I've going to a new airbox by graydon. CT offers similar. Whatever, but do SOMETHING!
Dude, i would talk to yamaha about at least slapping in a new motor. If they give you grief, then you might want to talk to some of the shops to get an honest opinion about the damage. Talk to Alba, Powroll, graydon, 4 stroke design, toomey, and trinity for starters. i'm sure a few of these shops will tell ya what's what. If they say the motor COULD be severely damaged, i'd go after yamaha...big time!!! I agree w/ the post above, but the word here is "apparent" damage. Ya sure, it APPEARS ok. but what about the tolerances now all out of whack after a few hours of fine grit lapping compund? know how valves are redone? good luck. late

Old 04-30-2001, 10:56 PM
Range Rover

Well *Without* a doubt there could be serious things wrong with the motor as there not made to ingest sand or dust for 4 hours. If you look at the boots that go from the carbs to the airbox you can see there has been sand / dust through them as instead of being a solid black color they have a tanish tint. If you rub the tanish tint with your finger it comes off. I'm looking at possible damage to the cyclinder walls, 3 Intake valves,Head,Piston,and Rings. One thing that I'm thinking is if alot of dirt and sand got into the motor wouldnt the carb slided be gretty and sticky??

Mac

Old 04-30-2001, 11:05 PM
Range Rover

i got a pro flo filter , stock air box and lid in the classifieds check it out, some dude offered me $50.00 for it but i was thinking more,

Old 05-01-2001, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

The same thing just happened to my friends Raptor. The motor is fine, but he did run out and buy the extended warranty just incase.

Old 05-01-2001, 04:54 AM
Range Rover

Here is a thaught. Put it back to the together and take it to the dealer. after you take photos for proof. And tell them it has been running strange and seems to be loosing power from when it was new. Then you will see if they can find the problem and if they are honest about it. If they find the problem and tell you about it you can probubly get them to work with you. If they lie about it then i would show them the photos and deal with yamaha directly. If they lie then be shure to mention that you cant trust them to tell you what was wrong so how can you trust them to tell you if their was any engine damage. You know what the problem is so it seems like a good time to see if you can trust your dealer. To be honnest though i doubt that you got any damage from that. If it was a 2stroke then it would probubly be trashed but with a 4 stroke damage would be minimal in that time frame. A 2 stroke uses the fuel air mix for lubrication so dirty air will kill them. A 4 stroke just sucks it in and spits it out. A small amount of sand wont hurt the valves.It will prevent a seal on that stroke then pass through and be gone. Over a long period of time it could hurt the cylinder walls but i doubt 4hrs would do it. On a 4 stroke i would bet that you could ride with no Af (in that location) for a year or 2 before you killed your motor.

Old 05-01-2001, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

I can see for sure where it is seperated... But to be honest...I think you know what the dealer is going to say.
They will say that you put the airbox cover on wrong and crunched it. It's sad...But I bet I'm close. They will not want to go through the hassle of fixing it. Make sure you change the oil...and even clean the carbs. Sand can be a disaster if it gets inside. I'm sure you know that.

Quick Reply: Is My Raptor Motor Junk Know after 4 hours!!