Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor owners I have questions??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 02:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Right now I have a 2001 400ex and would like to get a more powerful quad like a Raptor. I will be riding in half trails and half dunes such as my local dunes and Glamis . I have some questions to ask:

1. How is the handling?

2. What is the best hi-performance coolent for it?

3. What are the best tires for it? I want something that is 6-ply.

4. Do they powerslide good?

The next questions are for raptor owners with aftermarket parts:

1. I heard that the rapter has a tipiness feel to it and what mods can fix this? If you say to extend the axle how long should I extend it and would it affect the places that I ride in or the handling?

2. I also heard that the raptor has a big gap between first and second and what size sprockets front and rear (if I even need rear) would take care of this problem?

3. I know the raptor's front end comes up to easy and I would like to extend the swingarm and how long should I extend them to fix this problem(I still want to be able to wheelie,but not that easy) and would this affect the places that I ride in and the handling?

5.I want my Raptor to be as stable as possible so would after market a-arms work if so how long should i extend them ,should I move them like an inch foward if I do mve them an inch foward would that affect me from extending the swing arm? like would it affect the handling with the swing arm,axel and a-arms extended or my riding conditions?

Thanks your info will be greatly appreciated,
Dan

Old 05-01-2001, 06:05 AM
Trailblazer

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Dan

Old 05-01-2001, 09:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Dan, I don't ride dunes, but I believe I can give some insight on the difference between the 2 machines. I too sold my 400ex to get a Raptor.

Handling - There is much controversy concerning how the Raptor handles, but in my opinion, the Raptor handles as good as a 400ex. For it to handle as good, there is one catch though, you have gotta get your a$$ off the seat and work with the machine (but unlike the 400ex, it feels very natural on the machine...like it is made for leaning off the side). Guys that ride sport machines like a little movement though...right?

Gear Spacing - When you first ride the Raptor, it will seem that first and second gear spacing is a tad wide. After riding the machine a while and working with the available torque, you won't even notice the gear spacing. One note...if you ride exclusively with very slow riders (4x4 utility type guys), you will hate the Raptor and wanna gear it down (you probably don't though since you have the 400ex still...it does'nt like chugging at a couple of mhp's all day either).

Cooling - this is an area that you are gonna forget about fast. After break-in the Raptor runs much-much cooler than the 400ex.

Ability to get the front tires off the ground - Contrary to what you read, the Raptor does not pull the front end up as easy as the 400ex especially after first gear. You know those medium-sized hills that you have to let off the gas on with your 400ex so you can steer? That will go away with the Raptor.

Aftermarket Tweaks - The first thing to get is the pro-design "pro-flo" setup...the stock set-up is pathetic. Next, I think +2,+1 a-arms and a +4 rear axle would make an awesome compliment for the Raptor...although not necessary to ride aggressive. This would get a tad of weight off the rear and would make the machine more stable at all corners.

Old 05-02-2001, 02:46 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your info I had a couple of more questions though with the 2", 1" a-arms and the plus 4" axle would this take care of the raptors tippiness feeling and also with this you mean you can't aggressive or can you? I was thinking about getting a longer swing arm either like a plus 1 or 2" would this work good with the longer a-arms and axle and would it mess up the handling or limit the places that I would ride in.

Thanks,
Dan
P.S.
If anyone has any other info it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-02-2001, 04:13 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for everyones reply and I can't wait to sell my 400ex and get the raptor. I have a few more questions and I need your guys honest opinion I need to know which one will be better for my raptor in terms of handling and places that I ride in. Here are my choices:

1. 1" forward 2" a-arms and a plus 4" axle

2. 1" forward 2" a-arms, plus 4" axle and also a plus 2" swing arm

3. Plus 2" swing arm and a plus 4" axle

4. Plus 2" a-arm, plus 4" axle and a plus 1 or 2" swing arm (note:the a-arms in this choice are only 2" and not moved an inch forward)
Here are my choices and again I need your honest opinions on what choice 1-4 what you think would handle the best and is best for the places that I ride in?
I have another question: What are the best shocks for the raptor? I want something that are triple rates.

Thanks,
Dan

P.S. If anyone has any other info about the raptor it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-02-2001, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer

I am going to get a 2+2 axle and save up for new front shocks. I think the width/length is just fine for medium hop-ups (pipe, jet kit, filter) once you get the wider axle. I used to run a streetbike and using my weight made all the difference on the Raptor. The axle will make it easier to slide at medium speeds - I seem to encounter the lean at medium speeds where I am not on the gas enough to make it slide. I think the wider axle should help me keep the wheelspin up on turns. The front a-arms are fine, but a set of adjustable shocks would be awesome.

Old 05-02-2001, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

Yea i got sumtin to tell you go with honda i thought you said yamaha sucks in the bombardier site! Go with the 500ex
oooooohhhhhhhhhhh yeah

Old 05-02-2001, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Ok heres the deal. I have spent thousands of dollars and now know(wish i knew before) wich mods are required first for normal agressive riding. first is the axle. This makes a huge difference and since the durablue is adjustable can have it wide for dunes and powersliding or narrow it up for trails. A arms are not necessary unless you are a MX racer only. I do motocross and XC and found the stock width is sufficient for MX. Also the +2 a arms are too long for trails or XC racing. The next thing is front shocks gotta go. Will have less body roll and lower it a little. Plus handle big jumps. Then go with a +1 swing arm to keep the front end down unless you weigh over 230-240 then go with a +2 swing arm. Best trail tire in my mind that are 6 ply would be the Razors. Excellant slidability and great traction plus they are very rock resistant. Plus they last longer than hole shots and look better too! Well this just about sums it up. Any other questions feel free to ask me.

Old 05-02-2001, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

First take your slow *** Honda back to the Honda forums and next learn how to spell u Jack ***!!!

Old 05-03-2001, 03:29 AM
Trailblazer

Hi!
Thanks for your reply. You said go with +1" swing arms if you're under 230 pounds but I'm 227 do you think I should go with the +1"still or go with the +2" swing arm.You saidthat the 2" a-arms wouldn't be needed but the trails I ride on are big enough for a ds650 and also have lots of turns,I would like my raptor to be as stable as possible, with that being said how do you and every other raptor owner think that my raptor will handle with +2'' a-arms(note: the +2" a-arms I'm talking about are not moved an inch forward), either a + 1 or +2" swing arm, + 4" axle, and 6-ply razors. Do also think with these mods that it will make my raptor real stable?

Thanks your info will be greatly appreciated.
Dan

Quick Reply: Raptor owners I have questions??