Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

03 yamaha kodiak 400

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 yamaha kodiak 400

Hey guys so in need of help here. So i recently just did the head gasket on my atv and ever since then the atv runs apsolutely perfect but when i give it full rpm it wont rev all the way out it will kinda cut out, the atv would normally do 40 and bounce off rev limiter but now itll do about 30-35 and cut out the whole time. Is it possible that im a tooth off on timing or do i have a bad coil or cdi? Carb is perfect i rebuilt it and it did the same thing and if i spray starting fluid in the carb at max rpms nothing changes. The atv ran perfect before the head gaskets went then i let it sit for a month just did them and now this issue so not sure whats up

Old 08-31-2021, 03:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

Valve timing is dead easy to check on a Yam, so check it. Change the plug, just in case it is that. If no improvement, clean the carb out again, most likely cause, and so easy to refit something wrong, I think someone was on here yesterday who found a fault that was due to an incorrect rebuild. Yes it could be coil, stator or CDI but unlikely.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about the same problem, it's unlikely to be because of the stator. Low fuel pressure, a clogged fuel filter, a clogged air filter, a defective throttle cable, carpet obstructing the throttle pedal, ignition system failures, computer difficulties, a jumped timing belt, transmission, exhaust, and the list continues on and on. Only checking them in order can show you the reason. I prepared my quad bike when I was going to Tenerife after I first saw this blog https://riderly.com/blog/guide-to-re...nerife-island/, and decided that that's the perfect place for vacation.