Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Timberwolf Connecting Rod Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timberwolf Connecting Rod Question

Hello everyone, I purchased a 1994 Timberwolf 4x4 that according to the seller, didn't run because it just needed a "carb cleaning". I checked compression and it was 140 P.S.I. and the guy seemed honest so I took a chance. I got home, cleaned the carb and immediately upon starting the engine, it had a loud knocking noise. Long story short is I figured out the timing chain had jumped 2 teeth (for a yet to be figured out reason) and the piston was kissing the intake valve. I removed the piston, cylinder and head thinking I was into a top end rebuild but upon checking the connecting rod, I noticed something that seems unusual to me. This is where my question comes in. The connecting rod has 1.3mm of side to side play on the crank journal but zero up and down play. Spec is 0.6mm max so I know it's out of spec but top end free play is also in spec with less than 1.0mm. I believe bearing is fine but to me it appears one side of the connecting rod is worn down. Can I run it this way with a top end rebuild or do I need to split the case open and replace the connecting rod? I've definitely learned a lesson about buying 4 wheelers that don't run!

Old 08-02-2022, 02:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 343 Likes on 334 Posts

Personally I would re-assemble and see how you go. I've never even bothered checking how much side play there is on a con rod, like the gudgeon (wrist) pin, it floats about and finds where it wants to run. Wear on one side may be a worry, as it indicates something not quite right, but my guess is it will run for years like that with no problems. Start thinking about new con rods if you do get problems with it. Best of luck fitting a new rod too.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. For fear of getting stranded somewhere in the woods, I ordered a used bottom end off eBay with a good crank and will build a good engine between it and my current one. My OCD would have me paranoid every time I ride that the engine was seconds away from self destructing lol