Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blaster questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my son has a 2000 blaster that he ran dry of two stroke oil, now it runs but it makes a clicking noise. the bike is a year old and i plan on rebuilding tne top end, does the 240 kit make a big difference ? i can do all the work myself except for installing the new sleeve. question no. 2,the quad is stock and he just ordered a power core two silencer, do i need to rejet the carb or wait till he gets a new pipe otherwise will the stock jetting do with the new silencer

Old 05-06-2001, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

The 240 kit should make a big diffrence, though Ive never tried it out myself so dont REALLY know, Ive heard that its pretty fast.. BUT its also pretty expensive, if I were you I'd throw a vitos superstock piston in it, 1/4th of the price and it should make a noticable diffrence.. Then if it blows up you can bore it and slap another in it without the hassle of re-sleeving, buying another big-bore piston/etc....

Just adding JUST the scilencer you shouldnt have to re-jet, do a plug-chop just to be on the safe side..

Teach that boy some routine maintance! Its hard as h#ll to run out of injector oil, I know I fill mine MABE once a month, and I ride it every day, a quick glimse at the oil container and you'll know that at least it has oil in it, also I always check for a little blue(ish) smoke when I take off just to be sure everything is working correctly..

Old 05-06-2001, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

i can get the 240 kit for 250 dollars plus the cost to have the sleeve installed, thats why i asked if it made a big difference, if not i will go with the vitos piston. i could have strangled him when he ran it out of oil, he has a check list now, no check no ride

Old 05-06-2001, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said, Ive never tried the bigbore, so dont really know myself, have talked to many people whom have and they rave about it, thought alot of them being "kids".. soo...

$250 is a damn good deal, if you've got the cash to throw around by ALL means do it, but beware that when you blow it up you'll have to get it re-sleeved (unless they sell oversized big-bores which I doubt) so $300+ for every time it cooks, vs. $150+ - for a stock powerpiston and a bore job, why not go with the lesser of the two and try to get more of an
"ummph" with other mods? You said a pipe is in the future? that will help out alot, mabe reeds/reed-spacer, sprokets, timing key, gaskets, porting, etc..etc... Anyways just a useless rambling/opinion... I know if I were dishing out the cash I'd go with the lesser of the two evils... But, your son will be roostin with the 240 and loving life.. but would he be more happy with a shiny pipe/etc..? I guess its up to you... Just my opinion...

Old 05-07-2001, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

Remember there is more to a 240 kit than just the kit itself with the piston, boring, sleeve and all. You have to get a bigger carb (gotta figure around $200+), you have to get the custom intake boot to get it to fit, and all sorts of stuff, the 240 kit will make it fly but will also cut down on engine life. My blaster is ported and it really goes as compared to stock. I have heard people at races where a 240 Blaster is against a ported one(from a reputable porting shop who does a real good job) and the ported one gets the holeshot above the 240 more often than not. It all comes down to how much you want to spend. Like brokemybanshee said the vitos piston is a good idea along with a flywheel key, maybe some thinner head gaskets for some higher compression, that would cost under $200 and it would make a good difference, not as much as a 240, but it is a lot less money. Also brokemybanshee how often do you think he is going to be blowing up the top end? You make it sound as if that happens every month. If you take care of a motor you wont ever blow up the motor, it will just need a rebuild every few years.

Old 05-07-2001, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

i think you are right, after i heard from you guys i read up a little more on the big bore kit and they say you will feel very little difference without the other mods you listed plus more. i think i will go with the vitos piston, crank key and a good pipe to start with. have you had any experiance with the two inch swingarm extensions that you add to your existing swingarm, also with the mods listed above would i be able to go up a tooth on the front sprocket and the motor be able to handle it. thanks for all the info.

Old 05-07-2001, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

I can comment on the 2 inch extension.
Some people say they have never had problems...Myself... It bent pretty bad to one side..making the axel crooked, resulting in blown chain and ripped up sprockets.
It was good while it was new...But I really beat the blaster hard with jumps and the like. It may be different for you... I felt that it made chain adjustment more difficult too. It's a funny setup because your bolting to the existing swing. And putting a skid plate on the bottom after the extension prooved to be trying also because the mounting holes for the extension are the same ones you use for the skid. This made the bolts stick out and possibly rub on disks and sprocket carriers. It was a while ago that I did this (maybe 2 years now at least) so I don't remember everything.
It seemed to loosen up quite quickly if I remember right.
Maybe the technology has changed since then...good luck.