Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor: Feels like the chain is skipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 11:24 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember seeing a post a while ago about a raptor that felt like the chain was skipping, but the chain was tight. I can't seem to find this topic, So, i'm starting a new one. In first and second gears, under hard throttle, my raptor feels like its skipping teeth on the chain. My chain is tight, so the only thing I can guess it might be is gears in the tranny jumping. Has anyone had this problem, or any ideas on what to do?

Old 05-14-2001, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to have to tell you this, but it's the tranny gears. I hope you have warranty left!

Mine is in the shop right now beacause of the same problem! It's 12 hours of labor @ shop rate.

Anyway read my post of Mtecate 4, your right. Post or e-mail me back if you have any further questions.

Later,
Swytak

Old 05-14-2001, 02:08 PM
Range Rover

Do you know if this comes from hard riding? My raptor has had a hard life. It was "borrowed" by a "friend" and had some damage done to it. It was ridden VERY hard. So I'm disappointed by this, but not really suprised. But I'm wondering if your diffilcities stemed from abuse or factory defects.

The skipping on mine happens in first AND second, and I have been hitting more false neutrals latley

Also, how does everyone's reverse work. I turn the ****, push down from first, and then I have to slip the clutch and push down again, otherwise it pops out of reverse. It's done this since day one, and I thought that it was normal, but now I'm begining to have suspisions...

Old 05-14-2001, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Did you read my other topic, "mtecate4 you were right" ? If you did it explains exactly what transpired and the process in which problems started.

The answer to your question, "Is it caused because of severe abuse"? No, I would say I don't ride my quad any harder than anyone else. Do I think it is caused due to reverse? Yes, without a doubt!

Can I ask when you purchased your Raptor? I'm wondering if this problem is from some of the earlier models. (I got mine in Sept)

I can tell you this much, Yamaha is not standing behind it, atleast not up to this point they haven't. I have been battling them and my dealer is behind me on this one. So I just keep on top of them, making sure they are working with my dealer to a direction of resolution.

Let me know if I can answer anymore questions or shed some light. You and I aren't the only ones with this problem, I know this much FOR SURE!!!

Old 05-14-2001, 06:07 PM
Range Rover

Mine is one of the first. I got it in the end of spetember. the last 6 numbers on the frame are 000994. So I'm assuming it is the 994th raptor made... It was from the first shipment to North Dakota.

Old 05-14-2001, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Right after I adjust my chain it does that,but after it streched a little it was fine.I noticed when I was carving a hill and was sideways that it happens.When the chain isn't over tight it doesn't happen.I rode my buddy's shee with an extended swing arm and it was doing the same thing we fixed it no problem.

Old 05-14-2001, 11:17 PM
Trailblazer

OK,.. I had a similar incident with my Raptor with it feeling like the chain was jumping on the front sprocket, and I think I figured out why.
I was riding in some deep mud, enough that I was regularly dragging the rear sprocket/skid plate ( factory one) on the mud, and almost stuck because of it. When I would power up in first gear, and go up a hill with that much mud, the clunking would begin. Just like the chain was jumping, or 1st gear was getting ready to gernade! This happened about 5 times, even while reversing down the hill too! It's a nasty noise!
I was at the parking lot, tightening up my chain,which really was not that loose, when a fellow Raptor owner told me it was "the mud" on my chain causing the clunking noise, and that his did it also. Well, after taking note of the riding conditions the rest of the day I was able to confidently realize that any time I was in the thick deep mud, almost stuck in it, the chain would clunk again.
Since that day, I have ridden it hard and under many different conditions, but not the thick, deep mud of that day,... and no more clunking!
So my conclusion was chain & mud related.
Hope this helps somebody out there.

Old 05-15-2001, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

Mine seemed to be a little sensitive to grime/mud. It got a little dirty and loose then started to bounce off the front edge of the chain block. After tightening it - no problems. Mine seems to be a little more finicky if I don't shift firmly enough after using reverse. It also is a pain to find neutral - but it has always been that way.

Old 05-19-2001, 03:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got mine in september and blew 2nd gear 2 times now and this is some major bull**** if you all know what i mean!!
This time the 2nd gear dogs broke clean off and broke all kind of hard parts inside!
Please email me if you have broken the trany in your RAPTOR!

emoney243@yahoo.com

Old 05-20-2001, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

I just finished reading the other post on this and would like to throw my 2 cents in the pot. I drove my Raptor down the alley a couple of hours ago and noticed the same type of noise and blamed by oldest son for tearing up the gears in the tranny Friday. I jacked it up and began listening close to the noises it was making. What I found is the lower roller chain guide was eatten away real bad and wobbly so I decided to take it off. When I did, I found there was no bearing retainer and only 6 ball bearing left in the roller. I also took off the top one to compare it with and it was complete. The chain also seem to have some small kinks in itand is really dirty from riding in the sand and using Chain Wax. I am going to go back to using Silkolene. I am going to soak it with penetration oil and let it sit awhile and ride it again without the rollers and see what it sounds like. I will have to wait until tomorrow to get a new one, but I really think this will cure the problem and suspect with only 30 hours, some of the stories I am hearing about the clanking, clinking and slipping noises are really the roller and not the tranny. Will post again tomorrow when I replace it.

Quick Reply: Raptor: Feels like the chain is skipping