Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Totaled first Raptor. Should I buy another? Durability question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2001, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guy's, as stupid as I feel about it I managed to total my Raptor inside of 4 months. My insurance is cutting me a very large check tomorrow. My question to you all is how durable are these thing's? I only had about 20 hours on mine before it got toasted. I guess the big question is if you had to do it all over again, would you buy something else?

Old 05-18-2001, 01:56 AM
Range Rover

What did you do to it?

Old 05-18-2001, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider

I caught the right rear tire on a chunk of concrete at night. Bent my Excalibur axle, broke the swingarm, broke the swingarm pivot bolt(which broke the engine cases at the same time, since that's where the swingarm pivots at), and bent the frame. Total damage estimate was $7116.32. Thank God for insurance. Would you buy another one?

Old 05-18-2001, 09:10 AM
Range Rover

If you liked it and still want to ride I would get another one. As far as durability goes...If you think you can do the same thing to another quad without totalling it you are crazy

Old 05-18-2001, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not saying that I think my Raptor was junk because it got totalled. The hit it took would have toasted any quad. I'm just inquiring on their real world reliability. I really didn't have mine long enough to judge. I would love to have another but after being on this forum for so long I'm starting to rethink getting another. I know that there are probably hundreds of people with super reliable Raptors out there. And the people having problems out there are the only ones complaining. Like I said, after owning one would you buy another?

Old 05-18-2001, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

Personally.. I'd buy another one.. but thats just me.

Brad

Old 05-18-2001, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

I think you need to take into consideration how many Raptors have been made by Yamaha. What ever the number is i'm sure they've sold every single one. What other quads are you considering? you might want to read the latest Dirtwheels before you make a decision.
i have beat the crap out of my raptor. The thing looks 3 years old. Ice,mud,sand i've put it through everything i can think of. Destroyed rims and swing arm skids through aggressive trail riding ( NH is the Granite State ) and it keeps going. This thing keeps getting better with every mod. I wanted a quad i could grow into and i got it. Yamaha Financing is a completly diffrent story ( they should ashamed ).

Old 05-18-2001, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

RaptorAZ,
I would but I'd wait for the 2002. I heard they're supposed to have around 3 hp more stock plus better gearing. However, I've heard of some pretty ugly colors they are gonna be announcing. Brown? and other 70's type colors(70's clothing that is) so I would wait and keep the plastic off the old raptor. That's just me though.

Old 05-18-2001, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

RaptorAZ,
I would but I'd wait for the 2002. I heard they're supposed to have around 3 hp more stock plus better gearing. However, I've heard of some pretty ugly colors they are gonna be announcing. Brown? and other 70's type colors(70's clothing that is) so I would wait and keep the plastic off the old raptor. That's just me though.

Old 05-18-2001, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Has anyone else heard about the 2002 Raptors yet?

Quick Reply: Totaled first Raptor. Should I buy another? Durability question?