Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

plastic scratches

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 04:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wondering about best way to get rid of/make scratches on plastic less noticeable..... is there some kind of clear filler that you can rub on your plastic that will smooth it back out??

Old 05-31-2001, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

plastic renew makes a kit. i dont know how well it works, as i never used it or seen plastic that has been done with it.

but i have heard, it makes your plastic lighter, so if you have red it will make it pretty close to a pink. i also heard that it turns out nice, but a couple rides and it is back to how it was.

if your plastic is white you can make it look nice though, i forget with what though, i think those sos pads, not sure.

"armor all" or alike chemicles hide the scratches and put a little shine and tone back into the plastic, but this only lasts a little.

you can use floor wax, but i have heard some problems of it peeling off and stuff.

Old 05-31-2001, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

does the plastic renew work ok for yellow or does it lighten it and also is there a way to change the picture up there by my name??

Old 05-31-2001, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

I haven't found a way to get out the gouges that my hubby put in my fenders by rolling my Kodiak. He tried rubbing compound, but it didn't work very well. I use pledge on the fenders right now just to shine it up a bit, haven't tried armor all on the plastic itself.

Go to your profile to change the picture above your name.

Old 05-31-2001, 07:31 PM
Trailblazer

armor all works pretty good. it also keeps the mud and stuff from sticking so tight

Old 05-31-2001, 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

I haven't had a problem with mud sticking to it, even without washing it for 2 or 3 days. I use hot water and my garden hose and it comes off real easy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But I think i will try the armor all.

Old 05-31-2001, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used plastic renew on part of my yellow fender. It takes some time, several coats need to be applied, when I was done it looked good, it was a little glossier than original.

Old 06-01-2001, 02:17 PM
Trailblazer

My Blaster's plastic was old, faded, and getting that aged porous feel to it. So I used very fine steel wool to take off the crusty layer until it was very dull but very smooth. Then I got McGuires Liquid Cleaner Wax and a little hand held buffer (one of those $12 6" palm buffers from Wal-Mart) The plastic is now like new, and very slick. It works on scratches too as long as they are not really deep.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2001, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

I just did the exact same thing today with the wax ans buffer. It looks really really nice and shiny. I have yet to get it muddy though but I yhink it should let the mud come off easier.

Old 06-02-2001, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have some plastic renew I'm using on a bike I'm prepping for sale. My old quad has 15 year old plastic that doesn't have a finish to speak of. To use plastic renew, you have to sand down the finish (and all the scratches), then the product creates coating over the plastic that looks high gloss. Of coarse, you won't want to sand down your fenders unless they are shot like mine. This stuff is also not bullet proof and is susceptible to some cleaners and gasoline spills.

I've tried a couple of things, currently a product called Plexus I bought at my Yamaha dealer. The plexus cleans and shines and claims to seal up pores in the plastic. I seems to work OK. It does shine up the plastic and make scratches more noticeable. You can never make the bigger sratches go away. After riding in the mud, the dirt can be hosed off much easier too. I'm using it as much for that as the shine.

Next trip I think I'll try the honda plastic cleaner product. I've heard good things about that. The armor all idea also works, but leaves a greasy feel to the plastic. It's also not exactly environmentally friendly...not bad, just not good.

Quick Reply: plastic scratches