Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bent Axle on Wolverine, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This weekend I bent the axle on my wolverine. I found out this is not a cheep part,$258.00 from the dealer. Any suggestions where I should put a stock axle back on it or spend a little more a put a durablue on it. Are they worth the extra money? I was planning on changing the axle myself, are they hard to change. What will the hardest part of changing the axle. Just trying to find out what I'm getting myself into before I change it. I also bent the rim, $133 for a new rim, that's crazy. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-04-2001, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have the DuraBlue yet but I think I will put one on if my axle bends again. You need to talk to someone that has one and see how he or she likes it. The axle swap is really easy. You just take off the right side wheel and hub (the side with the brake on it) and there are 2 bolts I believe on the brake caliper that you unbolt and then slide the axle out. No I am sorry yo uonly take thoughs 2 bolt out if you want to replace the bearing and the seal on that side. You just need to take one hub and wheel and it will slide right out. You might want to go ahead and change your seals and regrease your bearing while you have it a part. And the rims I would look into getting some after market steel rim from like Dennis Kirk or Rocky Mountain ATV I think you can get a set for around a $180 to $250. If you have the money you might look in to getting Aluminum rims. I hope this helps you out and if you want to unload the 3 wheels you have left e-mail me. It might make up some of the difference for the full set you buy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2001, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

How did you bend it??????
Where you jumping?
Did you have spacers it??
Just trying to find my limit on mine...

Thanks

Old 06-05-2001, 09:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bent the axle by hitting a tree stump along the trail. I hit a mud puddle and it threw me into the tree stump.

Old 06-05-2001, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Wolverine 51, I noticed you have a modified clutch on your wolv, I have been trying to find the instructions on how to do that and can't find anywhere. Does it really make a difference? Also does it weaken the clutch?

Old 06-05-2001, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

It does not weaken the clutch,,,,I took each clutch shoe of one at at
a time, (removed one spring per shoe at a time) Once out I placed
the shoe on a drill press.( do this because if drill slides off while
drilling it will damage the clutch part that enguages and grips.)
,,, (I don't remember the size i drilled it is in another post)...,??????? At the opposite end
of where the shoe pivots drill the hole ....the tip... do not drill on the rivot this
hold the shoe together,, drill through each plate,,, the reasoning for
this is to lighten up the shoe, so that it enguages quicker, the centrifical force needed to enguage the clutch is descreased.. this
works when you put larger tires on. the pickup from a dead stop is
increased...this is a good free mod........!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-06-2001, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Wolv.
Im just replaced a bent axle on my 00 Wolverine. It cost me around $350.00 for the axle and Parts(bearings and seals). Swaping it out was fairly easy no hidden surprises. I checked on a durablue and that there would be a 6 to 8 week wait. So I went stock, but while at the dealer he said they would straighten it for $45.00. So I figured that it would be cheap insurance to have it straigten and hold on to it for a spare. Maybe this way I won't bend any more[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. I do not know how strong a staighten one would be I figured the steel is stressed so it would probably bend easier again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img].Hope this info helps.
Labs

Trending Topics

Old 06-06-2001, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Labs,,, My rear axle seal is leaking, if you are ,looking at the
quad from behind it, the seal on the left side (skinny part of axle)
is leaking,,comin out of drive shaft. it is a $7 .00 part , but would this seal be hard to change, Thought you would know since you just changed your axle..

Thanks...

Old 06-06-2001, 09:53 AM
Trailblazer

Wolv
I changed all the seals and bearings just to be on the safe side. I figured that since I have it all apart I might as well. Instead of hoping that it will last. I figured you can pay for it now or pay and for it and tear it down again latter. I now have a little insurance that I won't have any problems there for a while. I figure it took about an hour to do the whole job.
Good Luck
Labs

Old 06-06-2001, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

COuld you give me a brief description,, Does it slide out the right
side after removing the bolts on the drive shaft?? I'm mechanically
inclined, just trying to get a visual of what needs to be done
thanks..

Quick Reply: Bent Axle on Wolverine, need help