Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

stock jetting for Raptor...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001 | 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am planning on taking a trip to Colorado the first of August and have been researching some ride areas. Do you have any preferences or areas that you especially like. I own a Raptor and 250R. I was out there 2 years ago but had wife and daughter along and couldn't do as much riding as I would like have liked to. My E-mail address is kinklr@cat2.com. I sent for a tape and some books of ride areas but wanted to make sure they were still open. I would appreciate a reply. Gregnull

Old 06-07-2001 | 01:06 AM
Trailblazer

Go to to http://www.rockymountainatv.org/acti...nningTrip.html for more info. You can also get trail maps from Fay Myers, or Four-Wheel Drive trail books from the bookstore.

For easy riding and the most beautiful scenery go to Ouray, Lake City, or Silverton. Otherwise get the Trails of Colorado ATV Trail Guides http://www.faymyers.com/LnM/L&M2.htm.

Old 06-08-2001 | 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

RoadKillJoe, You ride in a lot of different places in Co. and most seem to be at altitude. Do you change jets often or stay with one set? I am going to Co. next month to the Granby area and then down to the Silverton, Ouray area. What jet size would you reccommend. I am at 600' and run a FMF and 145/150. Thanks

Old 06-09-2001 | 02:48 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Raptorrider2001,

I don't like changing jets especially on the Raptor so I plan to try to ride everything from 4000 - 13000 feet on one jet setting. I have been able to do that on my other quads, both Polarises. The only guys that I see fussing over jeting are the modified 2-strokes. Shoot for 4000 - 6000 feet and you will be Ok I think. I haven't riden the Raptor up high yet so I don't know for sure, but worse case you'll just be running rich.

Stock jetting for sea level is 140/145 with the needle in the #3 slot from the top, air screws 1 turn out. My dealer delivered mine with 130/135, no change in the needle or air screws. It was running a little rich until I replaced the air box with a CT Racing one with an Outerwear filter for a lid. It seems right on now with the stock exhaust system at around 8000 - 9000 feet. When I go lower I will have to check the plug to make sure I don't get too lean.

I would suggest you start with the 130/135 with your FMF for Granby. Silverton and Ouray will be much higher and you can even ride to over 13,000 feet at the top of California Pass. If you start having problems at the higher altitudes you can remove your air box cover unless it's like ours and it holds the filter in. Just bring your tools and plenty of various jet sizes. If you haven't jetted the Raptor before you should probably practice a few times before you have to do it in a campsite.

Good luck,

Old 06-09-2001 | 02:09 PM
Range Rover

Good advise on altitude jetting RKJoe. One thing to clarify with all, the air screw that you refer to is a idle mixture screw meaning more turns out, the richer idle circuit gets. To find out how yours are set (lean or rich), after some engine warm up, try to ride it steady at 1/8 throttle. If it starts to serge or falls on its face when the throttle is applied, it's too lean and could blow off the carbs if you get into lean intake backfire. In that case, turn the screws (both) out about 1/2 to 3/4 turns from current setting. If you've changed yours and now want to find a starting point, turn the screws in until lightly seated, then turn them out to around 2~2.5 turns out (give or take 0.5). You may need to play with it for elevation. Bottom line, don't set it too lean or you'll be busy putting your carbs back on instead of riding.

RapTech

Old 06-09-2001 | 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

Hi RapTech,

THANKS for THE BEST description yet on how to adjust what I have been calling "Air Screws" but are actually the idle mixture screws. I'm still trying to understand these blasted carbs and to tell you the truth I didn't know exactly what those screws did or how to adjust them.

Your's is also the first post that I've seen that links the adjustment to the blowing carbs off problem. Many have suggested going to 25 or 27.5 pilot jets but it sounds like just opening the mixture screws might solve the problem. How far out can you turn them before you should go with a larger pilot jet? I already put 25's in mine and I opened the idle mixture screws to 1.5 but I didn't really understand what I was doing.

Thanks again,

Old 06-10-2001 | 02:51 AM
Range Rover

Generally, if you have to go more than 4 turns out, maybe time to jet up one. Most of the Raptors I've adjusted fall somewhere between 2.5 to 3 turns out.

RapTech