Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Transmission Testemonials!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problem here.

I aint buyin no 750 gears either, thats outrageous.

Old 01-09-2002, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

I'm back. No problem here. Guys with 02 Raptors, any tranny problems? How does the new tranny work? Ratio in low gears? Smoking clutches? How fast can you back up?

I probably opened up a can of worms here. cu

Old 01-13-2002, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I'm not sure how this serial number thing works but I bought my raptor in September & had to wait for it to arrive. After the letter C, the last digits of my serial number are 021669. Is the 0 a "zero" or is it the letter "Ohhh". Do I just count the last 4 digits?? If so, 1669 seems pretty old for when I bought it? Any insight would be appreciated!

Anyway, regarding the tranny, I have missed a shift or two but I think it was more from lazy shifting as a result of the shifter being too high since I feel like I have to really pull up on it to get it to shift sometimes. I'll try adjusting it down some & see how it works.

My tranny hasn't failed but sometimes when I'm in neutral, the neutral light won't come on. Also, sometimes when I try to shift into reverse it doesn't engage all the way & then you hear the gear grinding until the rpms come down. I'm not sure but it seems to happen more when I have been riding it hard & the engine is a bit hot. Its really annoying & makes shifting into reverse a worry. As a result, I make sure I shift real firm into reverse & it makes an unhealthy clank when I do so.

I have read a lot of reviews that say engaging reverse is not so smooth on the raptor but they say they are used to it as most models have the same problem?? Sounds like adding reverse to a motor cycle engine & putting it into an atv is not the easiest thing to do!

I changed to a 12 tooth front sprocket because of the tall 2nd gear. I will be taking it in for the "warranty" valve adjustment soon that is not free-what a joke, & I will ask them to check the tranny as well. I know I can ask the dealer but does anybody know what the 3 year ext'd warranty costs?

Old 05-28-2003, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Transmission Testemonials!

Thread,
I just had my 2002 Raptor's tranny crater on me. I have maintained this 18 month old bike
meticulously and it locked up on me downshifting taking a turn. I never short shift and
havent abused this quad in the least. Does anyone have advice
about better aftermarket parts. I dont want the same crap in there that will go out in another
year and change. Any ideas of what this will set me back. Doesnt look like the case was split.

Koz

Old 05-28-2003, 02:10 AM
RIP Dear Friend

I started reading the last page and then saw where this is an old thread.

Its still an issue.

Old 05-28-2003, 06:37 AM
Range Rover

I thought this subject was dead. Well it looks like the 2002's are breakable too. Go to the alba website, they have the kit and excellent instructions to fix it.....But they are selling 2002 gearsets. Another option is the fortin gears. Im still on the second set of 2001 gears,and going strong.
Since the great tranny explosion of 2001, I shift with the throttle pegged, blip the clutch and shift away. Ive put hundreds of hours on it, mostly dunes and sand drags. If they ever blow up again, Ill probably go with the alba 2002 setup.

Good luck.

Old 05-28-2003, 06:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just had my 2002 Raptor's tranny crater on me
You just ruined a bunch of peoples day, mine included.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-28-2003, 07:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Turtler
Thread,
I just had my 2002 Raptor's tranny crater on me. Doesnt look like the case was split.

Koz
Turtler, If you haven't taken it apart yet, how do you know the tranny is what locked up? This will be dissapointing news should it turn out to be true. Please post back when you know for sure what has happened.

Old 05-28-2003, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Rap tech is blowing smoke...ANY tech that has EVER worked on this machine knows how many mistakes were made during manufacturing.

And anyone who doesn't make money off of these pieces of crap will tell you the same

Yamaha screwed the public by knowingly(yah thats what I said) putting a faulty product into the market place then promptly burried thier heads in the sand

Old 05-28-2003, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

I think this gets the oldest thread revived award.....

Quick Reply: Raptor Transmission Testemonials!