Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Transmission Testemonials!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 12:50 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't spend the extra money. `01 is just fine so far. probably couldn't tell the difference anyway??? I'd wait.

Old 06-16-2001, 04:35 AM
Range Rover

Raptech(and others familiar)

Is it just me or is the throw between 1st & 2nd on the Raptor a bit too long?

I don't miss shifts when riding wearing Steel Toe work boots, but when tired and
wearing M/X type boots(AXO RC-5 to be exact) I sometimes miss 2nd
(comming out of 1st).

When shifting between 1st & 2nd it feels like it takes a lot of foot movement
, more than anything else I've ever ridden.

Again is it just me?

When new it was backfiring when comming off of the gas, yes I did stop to check
the Carbs after every time, they never blew off and now after getting break-in
maintenance done it no longer backfires.

Guess I was lucky there.

I now have at least 50 hrs on my Raptor and have had no mechanical failures
due to faulty workmanship, the clutch burnt up but that was my fault.

Enough people have complained about the Raptors transmission to make one
wonder what the problem is, Yamaha transmissions although not the smoothest
shifting have always been durable.

I suspect its somthing to do with the way reverse was intergrated
into the drivetrain.

What do you think?

Great Day
Y2K

Old 06-16-2001, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer

My raptor is hitting false nutreals. what should i do?

Old 06-16-2001, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

To all of you who are hitting false neutrals, again, try adjusting the shift lever down. I was hitting false neutrals in the last couple of races, especially during starts, now I have not had one incident and I do ride it hard. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2001, 11:27 PM
Range Rover

Yes, try to adjust your shifter down. The (new) MX boots are stiff (until treated and broken in) so moving the shifter down will allow you to jump over the neutral.

I'm like you, I haven't had tranny problem (maybe because I don't gring and slam gears). But obviously some are having problems. I'm not sure if revese system have anything to do with it but I guess its possible to shift into reverse while going forward if reverse lever or cable becomes jammed (I've never had that).

As for the lean backfire, more mileage you put on the richer the carburetion gets because the needle and nozzle will wear and fuel level will come up some plus, the air filter will be little more restricted. In turn, the carburetion fixes it self. Maybe Yamaha sets them lean to start with because later they all become rich. If rich to start with, the EPA guys may not like that.

Anyway, enjoy your ride.

Old 06-17-2001, 04:01 AM
Trailblazer

i'm starting to think that this is an isolated problem. i posted this on the other board, but i'll repeat -
i was talking to my dealer/owner the other day and jokingly harrassed him about replacing my tranny NOW, cuz i wasn't going to wait for a zebratrailer-like event. steve(owner) is a totally straight-up dude and told me this. he said that they just returned from a big dealer show in Vegas and yamaha is not admitting to a wide-spread problem. Yamaha states that it is isolate and occurs in LESS THAN 1 percent of Raptors to-date. he also told me that if i break my tranny and yamaha doesn't step-up, he will for me and all of his other customers. HOWEVER, he said that he has sold 51 raptors as of 2 days ago and has yet to have a SINGLE bike returned for a tranny problem!!!! he said that if it happens, he'll get on the phone w/ yamaha, but there hasn't been a need, yet. he said that it is his own opinion, but he thinks that the problem may be related to an isolate and limited production run failure from yamaha's gear supplier in japan. this makes some sense. follow me on this one-

as we were talking, it occurred to me that i have read for months about fried trannys, but could not recall a single CALIFORNIA bike involved. steve also doesn't know of any cali bikes w/ the problem. this MAY be important!! the CALI raptor was on the assembly line 3 weeks BEHIND the 49staters. Raptors were being raced on the east coast before a single dealer in California had one on the floor. if NO cali bikes have or develop this problem, then the isolate gear production run theory starts to have some credibility! and THAT is important for everyone else because it probably means that most bikes are going to be OK. in theory that is
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
so i went back and looked at the dudes posting 2nd gear problems. i'll be damned if i couldn't find a single cali bike involved and MOST affected bikes were in the midwest to eastern states(except Zebratrailer in Arizona. wassup w/ minnesota?? small state but alot of raptor probs there. hum.). SO... could this be a situation w/ say, several hundred bad 2nd gears slipping thru from the gear supplier in JAPAN??? don't know, but it is worth looking at. so ARE THERE any VALID reports of the problem hitting a CALIFORNIA raptor??? speak up now!!!
so if we look at state of purchase, time of purchase, and approx. VIN number, we may see a pattern. it's worth the effort, i think. remember, a CA VIN number is not comparable to a 49stater VIN number, because the assembly runs were separate.

so here's my report: my bike bought in December, California model - NO TRANNY issues, yet. 51 raptor purchased from same dealership in Northern California and NOT A SINGLE tranny return...yet. The jury is out, folks.

Old 06-17-2001, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

i hope your right man. This would mean the new gear i put in mine should be ok then. I realy hope this is true cause i am debating selling it and going with another brand just because i got lucky last time. it only broke the one gear and what happens if next time it completely destroys my engine?

Old 06-17-2001, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

I can agree with the false nutral thing

I was gettin em alot and thought me tranny was smoked, then i adjusted my shifter, and it is perfect!!!! nice fix

Old 06-17-2001, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

When you guys speak of false neutrals, does this include the ones between 2nd and 3rd gear and 3rd and 4th?? Does this apply to just getting a false neutral between 1st and 2nd?? I got a couple between 2nd and 3rd...

Old 06-19-2001, 01:34 AM
Range Rover

I looked at my vin# this weekend, 002220 is the last 6 digits. Looks like mine is way before the 6000 mark. Ive got about 40 hours on it now since the rebuild, adjusted the valves and cables, at this time ITS ALL GOOD!!! Ive got about 4 months to go to equal the time before the first tranny went to OZ. only time will tell.

Quick Reply: Raptor Transmission Testemonials!