Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Please help!! Banshee sucking air in the carb??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I replaced the clutch cable on my Banshee yesterday, and I had to take the left carb off. I put it back, just like it was, but it won't run for crap now. It acts like it wants to run on 1 cylinder, but at high RPM, it kicks in. It revs out, and won't come back down. The carb makes a sucking noise.. i felt all around the hoses and connections, and it wasn't sucking, or blowing air anywhere. I can't find out what's wrong with it.. I put new NGK's in it, put new gas in and everything, but it still won't run! I need some help, there's a race friday night!! Please any help appreciated!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2001, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Any one???

Old 06-13-2001, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

It almost sounds like you forgot to put the equalization tube back between the carbs.
If you already checked that. make sure your carbs are in sync. Or that you put the slides in the right orientation. Then finally...make sure your boots are tight.

good luck.

Old 06-13-2001, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

I thought that might've been what is the matter with it.. But, one thing I just noticed, When I pull the choke out, the left cylinder stops "working"?? When the choke is out, nothing comes out of the left pipe, and it all comes out the right. WHen I push the choke in, the right one does it.. That tube that goes from carb to carb, is that the choke slider? Thanks for all your help!!

Old 06-13-2001, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

No.. the connection between the two carbs is to equalize the pressure between the two carbs.
I'm not really sure why pulling the choke out would kill a cylinder. Did you have the carb tops off? I know that the choke will only work on one cylinder...it is not mechanicaly linked to the second carb.
It almost sounds more like you put one of the slides in backwards.
Take off your air filter and look into the throat of the carb....make sure both slides are moving at the same time and same distance.

Also check that when you put the slides back into the carbs...that you did not bend the tip of one of your needles...that would make one slide stick or not function at all.

Old 06-13-2001, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

make sure the taper on the slide is facing the air filter, like the right side one should also be.

did you put that gasket that is on top of the carb, between the carb cap that screws on and the carb top where it is treaded. if you dont know what i am talking about, it is a circle rubber gasket that goes between the carb cap and carb.

Old 06-13-2001, 05:09 PM
Range Rover

check and make sure the slide is in correctly (as mentioned previuosly), and if you have gone to a twist grip and eliminated the TORS system, make sure you cable is seated properly into the cap, sometimes they will hang up on the edge, which will actually pull the slide up and make it rev, then the choke would just "choke" off the cylinder with to much fuel.

Trending Topics

Old 06-13-2001, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, Take the airbox lid off, look down into the carbs, and if the slides are not moving the same/correctly, take the carb off? Or, is there a way to fix it without taking it off? The tube going from carb 2 carb looks fine, and no, I didn't take it COMPLETELY off, i just took the boots off so I could get to the bracket for the clutch cable. I have drained the carbs a few times, then cranked it back up, and it still won't work. I'll try all this tomorrow.. Thanks for all your help, and I will probably need more, so please keep checking back w/me! Thanks!!

Old 06-14-2001, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Hey man, thanks alot. That tube came off, and the air wasn't equalized. I put the tube back on, and it runs awesome!! thanks you guy so much!!!!!

Old 06-15-2001, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

Cool...Glad to hear you got it running right again.

See....If you take a bit of time and look at things...It saves you money in the long run...no trip to the dealer.