Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

It's official, new gears and a new axle for the Raptor!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See my post in the "We should be mad as hell" thread.

Old 06-16-2001, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

By the way, I do know that at least Kawasaki has had recalls. I had a 1999 Kawasaki Ultra 150 that had three recalls on it for minor issues that I didn't even know about. Kawasaki mailed a notice to my house to take it to a dealer for repair. They didn't even wait for it to fail before correcting.

I used to be a diehard Yamaha fan owning a YZ125, WR400, TTR-225, TT125L, two YZ80's, a 1999 GP1200 jetski, and now the Raptor. I have to say that I didn't have any problems with any of the bikes or jetski but this Raptor is a piece of crap in comparison to the other products (and the two Honda 400exs we have).

Old 06-16-2001, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 2001 Raptor, and i feel that yamaha should fix the problem, even for themselfs because people are labeling the raptors as unreliable, p.o.s's!! Now, noone will want to buy one, and yamaha's sales will suffer!. If they sent out a recall, or replacement part, and it fixed the problem, yamaha will then be out of the dog house. P.S>MY raptor is fine for now...lol i just hope it breakes under warrity!!

Old 06-16-2001, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

noturaptor, kawasaki has also recalled their prairie 650 v-twin. somethin wrong with the axle.

Old 06-16-2001, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

it looks like they changed the front shocks too.. or did they just change the spring color??? overall i have not been impressed with raptors at ALL. i have drag raced countless raptors and just do not do good enough for a 660 engine. Most of them cant even get off the line with out wheeling. and when they get a good start they can barely beat my piped EX by more than 2 or 3 lengths. most of the time its dead even with the raptor front wheels a few feet ahead of mine

Old 06-16-2001, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

The new features & benfits of the 2002 Raptor 660R:

All new YZ-style piggyback rear shock with adjustable preload and compression damping for maximum sport versatility.

Revamped transmission features closer-ratio gearing for improved power delivery.

Why should Yamaha admit a problem with the tranny when their wasn't one?

The thing about the new Raptor660R is that you won't even have to pay more. It will be the exact same price as last year's model.

Old 06-16-2001, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

I checked the yamaha page the first day they introduced the 02's and it only said YZ style Grips and New Tires. Does the 2002 Raptor have reverse? It doesn't say anything about it on the information page. It only says "Race-bred 5-speed transmission is specially geared to keep rider in the fat of that monstrous powerband for maximum sport-ATV performance."

Are the new gears going to be changable with the 2001 gears?

Old 06-16-2001, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

well i have pretty much made up my mind after seeing that. I dont think i will ever buy another yamaha again even though the new griz is awsome but i think after i find a buyer for my raptor iam getting a cannondale or a 400EX. I can deal with a loss of power with going to the honda but at least the dang thing will run and i can ride when i want. Anyone want mine let me know. pics url can be found on my other post.

Old 06-18-2001, 12:52 PM
Range Rover

I don't know about switching to a 400EX from a Raptor. I own a 400EX with a the usual simple power mods (full Big Gun, no airbox lid, K&N with outerwears, dynojet), and I haven't ridden it more than twice since I got my Raptor last November. There is just no comparison between the two in terms of power. The handling and reliability are certainly different issues, but it's the power that makes me want to ride every day. Dirt Wheels does keep hinting around about a new Honda sport quad being released later this year, most likely using the liquid-cooled XR650 motor (or even the CRF450 motor). I'd wait and see if you were thinking about getting a new machine. That's a bike that would have great power and great reliability all in a single package.

Old 06-19-2001, 09:45 PM
Range Rover

To Four Stroke Fan,
My name is Charles and I have a 1998 300ex,2000 modified Banshee and a
325 Polaris Trailboss(automatic) for the wife. I am thinking about getting a big cc 's quad. My Banshee is primarily for the sand dunes. I do go in the dirt a lot but I would like to buy another quad for the dirt and leave the banshee for the dunes. Tell me what you know about the 650ex possibility and if what month/year of Dirtwheels you heard the rumor. Plus, I got a red sticker Banshee and that sucks. But the bike is a
screamer. 660R,Bombardier or Honda 650ex?My friend has a Bombardier
and I have ridden it and raced him. It's allright. If I were to get a high cc fourstroke itwould probably be the 650ex. I should wait shouldn't I?
Charles-Bansheeman[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: It's official, new gears and a new axle for the Raptor!