Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

If you want a new 2-Stroke than read this!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You still got the Tecate?

Old 06-17-2001, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

nope a buddy of mine bought it.

Old 06-17-2001, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

i'm dumb. in my last post i should have mentioned that the company i was talking about is called REV! i e-mailed them a while ago and they said they were CONSIDERING the possibility of producing a quad.

Old 06-18-2001, 02:47 PM
Trailblazer

Not to be negative about this but before you spend countless thousands of dollars, think about this. A) 2 stroke will legally have to be forced out due to pollution standards B)The pros are running 426 four stroke engines in GNC races because they know that is where things are going.

Again, if you have $$ to spare go for it, I love 2 strokes also, but I have faced reality and have moved to the world of four stroke.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2001, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a good idea to me but using aftermarket frames and finding motors could be difficult and expensive to do. I think it would be a lot more to make a quad that what a new one would cost. 5500 for the frame alone. Then you gotta get the engine, and brakes and plastic and a-arms and an axle and bearings and the list goes on and on and on. Good luck on doing it though, it would be real cool when you get done though.

Old 06-18-2001, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

Dare Devil, its 5500 for a rolling chassis,everything except tires wheels and plastic.Rnog, pick up the latest Dirt Wheels, Korry Ellis' collection of Racers.A 250R a 300R and a YZ440 (426).They pit them all against each other with Kory riding timed laps.Guess what...His fastest lap was on the 250R.Put down the brochures and stop following the crowd, 2strokes aint dead.

Old 06-19-2001, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

This is to GaryManilow:
I am very aware of what is going on in the ATV industry and I don't make my decisions based on one article in Dirt Wheels magazine about how fast one rider can ride one bike faster than the other. The article proves just that, he rides one better than the other. Anyone can ride a 2 stroke, they are more forgiving, but it takes more experience to ride a four stroke. Proof of this has been by the controversial Yamaha 250 4 stroke that Ernesto Fonseca rode in the 125 SX class. He had to learn when to gas, when to clutch, how to jump, how to take turns, and at the end he whipped all the 2 strokes. In ATVs, Doug Gust is trying to prove the same thing and has proved he can do it, but he has had a streak of bad luck.

Now, what are the manufacturers doing, making more 4 strokes, why? because of legalities. Has honda or yamaha made any new 2 stroke ATV models, NO!, Yamaha makes the Banshee(which is my previous bike that I really loved), and Honda none.

I make my decisions in the broader aspect of things and not in one article and that is exactly of I was advicing LTRACERX, look at the whole picture before you make a decision. True 2 strokes are not dead, YET!! But soon the day will come, when we will all have to switch over. Remember the 3 wheelers, there are only a couple of them out there.

Trust me, I miss my 2 strokes, there is nothing like revving one, but 4 strokes are the future.

Notice that the tone of my message is subtle but in direct response to your imply that I did not know what I was talking about, I have my reasons for switching over and you have yours for staying with 2 strokes. I respect yours, you respect mine.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]