Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

CT EXHAUST FOR RAPTOR

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rennym,
I'm not here yo get into a pipe bashing contest!!! I've had three different pipe configurations on my machine- Big Gun, Bill's Pipe, & CT Sonic. I lossed 6'lbs of torque over the Bill's Pipe and only gained 1.5 hp. And for my style of riding (300' sand drags), 6'lbs of torque is more important than 1.5hp. This is all via dyno (Winpep Dynojet ATV Dyno)

I've found out through trial and error that the over sized head pipes like CT, Graydon, and a few others create alot of turbulance in the head pipes which result in a loss of torque.

Old 05-02-2002, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

I was just looking at the DYNO chart on the CT website. It says that the peak HP is at 7200 rpm.
I may be wrong, but how can a pipe change where your peak hp is at. I thought only a CAM can do that. I have the high end WebCam and hit my peak hp @ 7200 RPM. Like I said, I may be wrong.
Looks Fishy though.

Old 05-02-2002, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

<< Is there any CT piped and jetted machines in the Omaha, NE area? I would like to Drag Race one.
lemme know.
>>

I second this!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2002, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Oh Boy, here we go again. Ok guys, we have kicked this dead dog so many times they are thinking of making a law against it.

Here is the deal on the pipe. CT shows that dyno run -- against a bone stock Raptor --- to sell pipes. It is that simple. You will NEVER find him showing a dyno run comparing his pipe to a stock head pipe and your choice of tip. The reason is that the stock head pipe and tip combo PRODUCES MORE TORQUE where you need it. Also, how many pipes would he sell if the gain for the money was just not there?????
Sure, a full exhaust looks nice and with the correct cam (not currently available to the general public), you could correct the torque issue slightly. Don't believe me?? Dyno your full exhaust and then replace it and properly jet with a stock head pipe and tip. You will see a slight peak hp increase with the full pipe but a loss of low end torque.

Old 05-02-2002, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Zombie, Velocity,

No bashing going on here. Just relaying my personal experience. I can't speak for other combinations, which I haven't seen or raced.

You both have machines which have or were modded in the cams, valves, pistons, etc when you did the tests right? This may have made the difference. It's absolutely possible that when you mod the motor, that a different exhaust performs better.

I have two friends with Raptors.

One friend of mine has a 686 kit, hi-comp piston, cam, no lid, and pro circuit exhaust. My CT Kit Raptor still pulls him. So it probably has to do with having the right combination, and also having the job done right. (We joke that he may have a lemon, and that really steams his clams [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])

Mine is a stock raptor with the CT Kit. My other friend's is a stock raptor with the same kit, but with a stock header and GYT-R Carbon tip. My Raptor pulls him, but it is closer than my friend with the 686.

So let me qualify my recommendation: In my opinion, if you are not going to mod the motor, the CT Kit lives up to it's billing. I am also pretty confident that people aren't getting the most out of their exhaust kits, if they don't open up the lid in some way and jet properly.

If you are going to go into the motor, look at messages on this board to find the right combination.

RM

Old 05-02-2002, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

&quot;hey little player&quot;? WTF is that? velociraptor, little biyatch, if you don't like someone's opinion, that is fine. But name calling just pisses people off, and unfortunately I will go down to that level if provoked... lol.

From the dyno chart and from seat of the pants experience, I just don't see a loss in power anywhere in the RPM range. Every Raptor is different, as is each individual pipe set-up, so maybe yours really didn't work out for you. But my Raptor is jetted for sea-level and is well taken care of, so YES, I do believe that the power out put is close to 49HP as CT claims. I used to own a couple very modified 250Rs, and it puts out comporable power to those.

Anyways, I just don't see a power loss...

Old 05-02-2002, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

There is no loss of power. Both the full pipe and/or just a tip will improve the range. The deal is that the stock head pipe tends to produce more low end torque.

Old 05-02-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

ALASKA! A 15 hp gain from a pipe does not exsist. You may &quot;Believe&quot; you had a 15 hp gain. Alotta people believe they have been abducted by U.F.O's too. You gotta see it from our point of view. I went out spent 600 bones on a pipe that did not do what it said it would. Then to find out that the infamous pipe shootout was done on CT's DYNO! Thats why DG and Alien did not participate in the shootout.I have my own piece of paper that tells me I lost hp and torque from the Alien pipe.
What it boils down to is this. You like the CT, I think it's a hunk of ****. Thats just my opinion. I'm a dissatisfied customer of the CT pipe. You are a satisfied customer, I hope you enjoy it.

Old 05-02-2002, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Raptor720,

<< The deal is that the stock head pipe tends to produce more low end torque. >>

No bashing here, just a question: How do you test that?

I know that with the CT setup, that if you put the straight end cap on, or change the number of discs you will loose power. The optimum setup for a stock machine is 16 discs. being that different tips can produce different results, wouldn't you also need to 'tune' the tip to work with the head pipe?

So, if you had a tip which worked better with a stock head pipe, and you then tested that tip again with a larger headpipe (or different shape, whatever), wouldn't you need to 'tune' the tip to accomodate? If you just tested it with the same tip, may loose power or not get the most out of the setup.

I just wanted to know how you came up with that conclusion. I know from previous posts, that you have tested many different combos, but don't remember how.

Thanks,

RM

Old 05-02-2002, 12:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Alaska- we have run up against the magic ct pipe. No one in our group that day was impressed. (8 raptors, 6 different combos) The gyrt was the big winner that day. Out in the open dunes the ct did a good job. But the strip told a different story. It should be against the law, to install something that ugly on a raptor.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have not seen a huge difference in pipes to justify a change. I am leaning towards Trinity's more for looks than performance, as i feel they are that close. Even if the ct made 1 more hp, i could not install on my raptor. My 686 kit allows me to give up the difference.

We are having a mobile dyno day at my mx track on May 11th. We are going to dyno 5 raptors. We are going to do some pipe swapping on mine. I am more interested in the gyrt vs T-4 than any of the rest. We will post all the raptors, what exhaust, modds and the numbers made.

Velocity- maybe you should enlighteen all the forum members to what &quot;raptor tuned&quot; consist of. Or do you plan on letting your machine speak for itself at the next 4stroke wars?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: CT EXHAUST FOR RAPTOR