Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Permanent Raptor tranny fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my idea for fixing the raptor tranny. If yamaha does like they normally do, they'll change as few parts as neccessary to fix the problem, so lets just replace the gears with 2002 gears. I don't see why they would change the axles in the transmission, as this would cause them to change too many parts(they are cheap *****) so it should only be a replacement of gears 1 through 4(1 through three have the new ratios plus fourth gear as I've heard has bigger and stronger pick up cogs. I will be researching the exact part numbers as soon as the 2002 microfiche is available, but I think we should be able to do the complete swap for around 220 in parts. As for the clutch problem, it should be able to hold up to any abuse anyone puts it through, period. This "you're abusing the clutch" line is for a bunch of putters who shouldn't have a raptor. Simple fix: stiffer clutch springs and a hinson basket, and if you don't use the lame reverse gear thats geared to high, you shouldn't have a problem burning up the clutch the way it is stock. Just to vent some steam though, this is supposed to be a high performance machine, IE the frame, tranny, engine, etc should be able to survive any racing condition for years, and to the people talking about this abuse thing, well, thats what this bike is for.(speaking of broken frames, ever run a lonestar? absolute junk) If we wanted a bike to baby, we'd buy a polaris. (yes thats a knock on polaris)
As far as talking to yamaha though, this week I'll give them a peice of mind and keep asking for bosses till I get someone who speaks japanese!

Old 06-17-2001, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

good idea dude, but yamaha should still recall em. i hope you find an answer to this crap i want my quad to run good like it does now

Old 06-17-2001, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Here you are complaining about the poor quality of your Raptor, and you say that Polaris are junk?!
I've yet to have a problem due to a design flaw yet. As a matter of fact, I've yet to have a major problem at all. The air filter currently needs to be replaced, and the tires are getting worn down a good bit, but this isn't Polaris's fault.
I love my Xplorer, and I beat on it quite heavily... it puts up with it, too. Which is more than I can say for the transmissions of the first 6000 Raptors that were produced, plus all the ones with weak axles, weak clutches, slippery carb boots...

Why don't you stick to complaining about your own quad, and leave all the other ones out of it.

Old 06-18-2001, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

Campy,

I think you're looking for the Polaris forum. Did you get lost?

Raptor18 was offering up ow he was going to fix his tranny problem. All your offering is criticism. I'm glad your bike has been trouble free (as my Raptor has been too), but please keep your useless rants to yourself.

Old 06-18-2001, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

Nope, not lost. Just bothered that Raptor18 is just sitting there complaining about his Yamaha, and all it's problems, and then turns around and says that its wonderful and that all Polaris suck.
In a certain light, it seems pretty hypocritical... but then, so do lots of negative comments...

Old 06-21-2001, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

Raptor18...thanks for the info. Keep on 'em and please e-mail me with any info you find out! A lot of us out there would be greatful.

Old 06-21-2001, 08:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'd rather push my Raptor, than ride a Polaris.

My favorite part of dirtwheels is the letters in, where all the Polaris riders write in "I love my Polaris except......"

You know something is wrong when all their "sport" bikes are automatics. Translation: Polaris riders don't know how to shift.

JS

Old 06-21-2001, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

Someone actually reads that crap Dirtwheels prints?
Anyone with a Raptor shouldn't knock any quads reliability.
Funny a Yamaha guy should knock Polaris considering Yamaha basically designed their flagship quad after everything Polaris has done the last 5 years.

Old 06-21-2001, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

First of all Andrew, I am a Honda fan. I just sold my Honda 300EX that I had for almost 7 yrs. It was very reliable, and I will own another honda again someday.

I wanted a bigger quad and put a deposit down on a Raptor as soon as I heard about it. I had no idea about the reliability.

However, my statement still stands, I'd rather push my Raptor and fix it right than throw a leg over an automatic tank Polaris calls a sport bike. They are just glorified utility machines, for all the mindless weekend warriors who can't ride a bike with a manually operated clutch.

And just which Polaris are you talking about that Yamaha designed the Raptor after? Whatever you're smoking, I'd like to try some.

I got a chance to ride a stock DS 650 this weekend. I also was able to race it. My Raptor is stock and I can tell you three different guys rode each bike, not once did the DS win. Overall the DS looks solid and in certain conditions is probably a great machine. Just not the bike for my type of riding.

But I will not let anybody try to tell me that Polaris makes a reliable quad.

I have owned:
300EX
500 ltr
87' Banshee

My best friend used to own a LT250R & Banshee, and now has a 400EX and we've put tons of hours on all of our puads.

Polaris should just stick to makin sleds, leave quads to the big boys.

JS

Old 06-21-2001, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe the DS was too much quad? I find most guys that don't like riding Polaris & Bombardier quads just need to spend more time in the gym.
From what I've seen the DS is still the King. The Raptor was fast yes, but not the fastest.
Also I said Yamaha's flagship. That would be the Griz. (copied Sportsman).
As far as leaving quads to the big boys, then maybe Cannondale should quit making them too?
Anyone who assumes someone rides an auto because they can't shift is mindless! And for people like my mother (who has MS) and can't use her legs well the Polaris quads let someone ride a quad who before would never have a chance too.

Quick Reply: Permanent Raptor tranny fix