Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best Mini? Raptorette? I think it's a "PIT VIPER" 90cc Husky by IPC, Made in Tennessee!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 04:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thing has suspension! Bump steer single a-arms, but 7" of travel front, 6"rear. Cast Aluminum a-arms and swing arm, Looks almost as cool as the Raptorette, Big Gun Exhaust, Magura child grips, only 210 lbs. 4-stroke 90cc, 4-speed auto clutch. I don't know how much it costs, there are no dealers anywhere nearby.

I can get a Polaris 90 Scrambler for $1900 just a few hours away, tomorrow. It has 2" of suspension on each wheel, two-stroke, auto, looks great too.

The Raptor/Badger has a solid front axle or something?? That's gotta hurt. I think it's kind of a Rip-off Raptor to be so great looking but so unevolved. I wish they'd done,, something, like suspension and reverse like the real Raptor.

So though the Breeze is no race quad, it has a nice wide stance, huge tires, a 125cc 4-stroke, belt automatic. I hear it will go about anywhere and a small adult can even drive it in a pinch. And it comes with the Parental Throttle control like the raptorette.

How come it takes them till November to reskin the Badger? What if the new Raptorette isn't a Badger at all and they're just hosing us?? What if they actually are coming out with a Cool NEW MINI that not only looks cool but IS COOL?? Like suspension and reverse?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2001, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hi 3TV ,,Just looking at the specs over on the Honda site. The Honda is a lot lighter, with a low seat height, same crappy suspension, and no reverse, no electric start... Looking at the 250EX, what a sweet little machine! Way to big for now of course. 5-speed + reverse + shaft drive, real suspension, your kid must love it, How old is he? I hear there are some new suzukis too. I saw the mini Polarises at the dealer one day, they were having a hard time getting and keeping them running. Way too fussy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] still looking...
Hey I figured out how to modify my trailer to hold 3 quads...
just as I decide to get a fourth for the little one, oh well..

Old 06-18-2001, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer

the new suzuki 50 is too small I think. My girls started out on the lt80 at 3 & 5 years old. it was a little big at first but they caught on in no time. now at 5 & 7 years old they do very well on my wolverine. but they wear out quick.

Old 06-18-2001, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Now I'm back looking at the Polaris Scrambler 90. Two-stroke, oil injection, automatic, electric start, 220 lbs. $1900 out the door still no reverse, gotta get into a Breeze and an extra grand for that. The Scrambler 90 oozes cool and style, is made by E-Ton.
Dealer said the starting problem comes from the teather switch, gotta make sure it is "in" or it will crank but not fire. Sorry 3TV but that Fourtax is way more $$ with no electric start. What was the attraction? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2001, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

How's the suspension on the Honda minis? Seems like there just isn't much on these things. I found a Kasea Skyhawk 150 with dual A-arms and 7" travel in front, but it has a manual shift (also electric start) Bit much for now. Thinking about the Polaris Scrambler 90, I can get one for $1900 out the door. There are also some Huskys that look like they're half-way there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2001, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Okay, the IPC "Pit Viper" 90cc, made in Tennessee, is the big brother to the Husky 50, the self-proclaimed leader in pee-wee MX racing. It has 7" travel in the front,6" in the rear, dual A-arms (not double, still bump steer) a 4-stroke with auto-clutch and 4-speed. Cast aluminum swing arm (and a-arms) Big Gun Exhaust, Magura child levers, rebuildable Fox racing shoks. It looks as cool as the Raptorette, almost, only weighs 210 lbs. This and the Kasea Skyhawk 150, with full double A-arms and 5-speed look like real machines for the young enthusiast, and his dad.
The Polaris Scrambler 90 for $1900 is 2&1/2 hours away though, and I have no idea what a Pit Viper goe$ for, can't find a dealer closer than Oklahoma or California, and the Kasea is $2800. Plus the Polaris will be easy to sell or trade in three years for a 250EX or TrailBoss.
I just keep thinking this rough country out here is really going to discourage the young lad without some decent suspension....
But then I'm the guy that didn't like his DS suspension so....
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2001, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Fourlix,

Something else you may want to check on. The Husky 50 engine is a clone of the Honda 50 motor. I read that they licensed through Honda for a company out of china to build an exact clone of it. I'd almost believe they are doing the same thing with the 90 engine as well. From what I could tell, the specs look to be the same on the Honda 90 and the Husky 90.

It's the design that makes Honda so reliable, not the hands that put it together. I would tend to believe that the Husky engine would last.

If you check into it any more, let us know!

Old 06-19-2001, 08:29 AM
Trailblazer

I also read about the husky in dirt wheels. it sounds like a pretty sound little machine. i can't help but wonder about the resale value of an unknown compared to a honda or suzuki. I have no complaints about the lt80. on the trail it will suprise you where the kids can take it.

Old 06-19-2001, 10:33 AM
Range Rover

IMHO you really need to go look at all of the quads. I thought that the no-name quads looked really cheaply made compared to the Honda, Yahama and the Suzuki. My boss just bought a Yahama Badger for his kids. He was dead set against it until he went and looked at all of them, then it came down to the Honda and the Yahama. The other brands might be allright, but I believe you get what you pay for! Some of the things that you might want to consider, with all the auto's there is no engine braking, and some of these things don't have the best brakes in the world! The front end on the Badger is as good as most of the others, so don't let the swing arm front end fool ya, none of them are great! The resale of the name brand quads are alot higher. I just bought a 94 Badger for my kids in very sad shape, and have allready been offered 1400 for it. Thats pretty good for a 6 1/2 year old quad that doesn't even run! I just beleive that once you see all of them, you'll be more impressed with the fit and finish of the big three. (Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki)

Old 06-20-2001, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

Well, those are very good points, and I kinda split the difference.
The New Polaris Scrambler 90 is in the garage ! Bang for the Buck, out the door for $1,895 was just too good to pass up. It is made by Aeon, but since it carries the Polaris name and plastic, I think resale will be just fine. It is fast, starts easily, fit and finish are great, and looks fantastic.

But true to form I am ordering wheel spacers for it. There is no reason to keep this thing this narrow at 33". (Same as Raptorette/Badger) The two-stroke and auto are so Polaris anyway. But it could be a little more stabile, it is a bit tippy. My 4 year old is doing just fine on it, rides with feet on the floorboards, learning to use the brake, parental throttle control set so it just barely takes off. But then it gets going pretty fast, a little too fast. The CVT needs enough throttle to take off that once it does it has enough to upshift and get going pretty good. Taking his thumb off the gas stops it in about 12 feet, so it does engine brake no matter what anybody says. I can see that the Parental Throttle Control would be more effective on an auto-clutch/4-speed.

The high point of the evening, no doubt, was when he buzzed my wife, mom, and friends out on the patio during cocktail hour whilst doing a solo run without his 12 year old brother sitting on the back supervising. We were also playing follow the leader around the fields with him soloing.
"IT"S GOING BACK!" was heard repeatedly for about an hour. It might go to Pismo this summer, but it is not going back.

Another good point to remember, since I am selling the H.O. this leaves one Polaris in the stable so I can still yak on the Polaris Forum. Think it will **** them off that the only Polaris we have left is a mini??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Best Mini? Raptorette? I think it's a "PIT VIPER" 90cc Husky by IPC, Made in Tennessee!!