Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

maybe you guys can help me decide on a quad to buy this summer....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive asked the people in the suzuki forum but they wont answer me,
I have been opting to get the 2001 quadrunner 500, and i was set on that, untill....
i saw the 2002's that are comming out,
big bear with 2wd.4wd at a good price, the new grizzly 660 with locking 4wd,
the two new suzuki 4x4's...............
im looking for a powerfull, good handleing, comfy 4x4 that is peppy/sporty and can go around 45-60 mph,
what do you guys think?

P.S.
someone also wants to sell me a 97' scrambler 400 4x4 with some mods for 3,500

Old 06-19-2001, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new 650v-twin Prairie sounds right for you.

Old 06-19-2001, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Check out www.arctic-cat.com, I am not some die-hard know it all that thinks only one brand is the best but after comparing all other companies I thought Arctic Cat had the most bang for your buck. I looked at the Yamaha Big Bear 4x4 but it only had one gear range. I looked at the Rancher 4x4 and it had drum brakes. I choose the AC 400 4x4 because it had disk brakes and a high low range. If you got the money I would look at the AC 500 4x4 this has... Well take a look the website and get all the specs. The only compliant would be speed, these quads are heavy and geared for power, but it would easily meet your requirements my AC 400 does around 55 but it takes a little while to get there.

Old 06-19-2001, 03:23 PM
Range Rover

I would say that the new Yamaha Grizzly would be right for you.

Old 06-19-2001, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

hey man.. I know what you're talkin bout wanting a 4x4.. But, That deal on the Scram would be hard for me to pass up!! Scrambler's are AWESOME machines.. They don't protect you from the mud that well, But they'll get down in it, and fight like all the big bore 4x4's. Plus, you can haul around on the trails hitting jumps and bumps.. It's not the kind of any, but it's the Jack of all trades! I'd love to own one.. Oh yeah, don't let all these guys scare you away from the Polaris brand.. Just like everyone else, if you take care of them, they'll take care of you

Old 06-19-2001, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, if i could afford the new prairie or the new griz, id be there in a sec, does anyone know the specs on either of the new suzuki 4x4's?
the scrambler is a good deal,
and the ac 400 looks good to,
how is the handleing and suspension on the 400?

Old 06-19-2001, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Are you talking about the scram 400? I'm not going to lie to you.. Polaris suspension is really good. They soak up the bumps very well, and the scram should be easy to turn. It should be VERY fast, and run good since it has "some mods". The 400 should slide very well, because my 300 does. I have no complaints with my Polaris.. it's been to the shop 2 times since 1995.. and one was just for bearings! Later

Old 06-19-2001, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

IS THIS A GOOD DEAL? if so which is better?
2001 atctic cat 400 4x4

dealer # 1 , in my state
5000 with free plow and winch, if you dont want them, 400$ off price

dealer #2 4599 out of state, no winch , since its out of state, that means no tax, right?
ir that 97 polaris scrambler 400 4x4 with mods for 3500?

Old 06-19-2001, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

See kukerdan, it all depends on what kind of riding you're going to be doing. If you are going to trail ride more than work, I would definately go with the Polaris. But, if you are going to work more than play(is that possible on an atv?) I would go with the AC. Now.. To what you were talkin bout w/the winch and stuff. You cannot usually buy a winch, and get it on under $200. The snowplow adds up higher also. BUT, taxes are in there too. I'm not too sure about buying out of state.. but, if you could do that.. and be tax free, it might be just as good. My point being, either way you go, you'll end up spending about the same. It just depends on if you want the plow and winch now.. or.. Heck, if you don't need them, buy out of state!! But if you do, buy in state!

Old 06-19-2001, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

The handling on the AC 400 is good, the stearing could be lighter but I don't think it is bad for a quad of this size. I do alot of tight trail riding and it can go anywhere and more than any of my friends quads. I will admint it cannot turn as tight as a Honda 250 2x4 but I can easily drive over anything to make the turn. When I ride with my friends it is always me in the front making the trail. The only draw back if it is one, is this thing is a tank; in the low gear range it will go over or through just about anything. Sometimes its fun to ride a 2x4 and have to attack logs and hills. The AC is more of a work horse you know it will go through anything. But I would not trade the power for anything, it is great not to have to worry about getting stuck over everything. Plus how often are you doing 45+ on a quad?

Both deals you wrote seemed good and about the same prices. you can always make a couple extra dollars clearing driveways in the winter. I really like having my winch for grabing my firends out of the mud, it is alot easier than having to bring a tow rope. Plus to buy them seperate you would be looking at around $700 bucks.

Quick Reply: maybe you guys can help me decide on a quad to buy this summer....