Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Engine Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am going to start looking into engine upgrades for the raptor. What companies are currently offering packages such as CT racing's etc. I'm looking for maybe a mild bore, piston, cam and port job. I'm also looking for a company that does a good job not some job where they throw it on the lathe and say "well that's good enough". Anybody know? Prices?

Old 06-19-2001, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

ERICsRAPTOR,

I just put the first 10 hours on my 680 Trinity Raptor w/ cam, port, larger intake valve and 3-angle valve job. Although I am breaking it in and haven't gone past a 1/2 throttle blip, this thing rips!

I have heard many negatives about Trinity's customer serice, but I have to say it was a pleasant experience for me. Harry (the so called horrible) said he would have it done in 2 weeks and came through. He told me the price prior to shipping it to him and the price never changed. Not that anyone should expect less than that, but I have to say I am very pleased.

I spoke to 5 companies doing motor work for the Raptor and decided to go with Trinity.

Feel free to e-mail me with any further questions.

Old 06-19-2001, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Swytak,
Could you tell me a few other things like, where the does the power come in at the most after the upgrade Low, mid, high. What about throttle response compared to a piped raptor? Is it breakin' the wheels loose more or is it still grippy when cornering? What's the price? and of course What are they dyno'ed at? Sorry for ? overload but I'm trying to get a feel.

Old 06-19-2001, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Check out dseaters raptor at www.geocities.com/raptorterry he has the same kit 64hp.

Old 06-19-2001, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

ERICsRAPTOR,

It was dyno tested at 63.8. At this point I can't say how the power increase is in top-end, but low to mid is a huge increase. If this thing comes on like the stock bike did after break in (seems to get quicker after breakin), I can't wait! Even though I am still using the stock swing arm, it will easily break the stock wheels loose (mine are a little worn). I am still running the stock airbox and headpipe as well, just some univents in the airboxlid, but will have a new airbox in a few days with a outwears lid. Still haven't decided on an exhaust yet, thinking Sparks probably. In 3rd and 4th gear it will easily pull a wheelie whith a blip of the throttle. Throttle response is right on. I was running a slip-on w/ dj kit and thought the throttle response was good then. Well let me tell you, I got rid of the dj kit and added the motor mods. The throttle response and more importantly the power increase is more than I ever expected!

Ordering this week Elka triple rate front shocks w/ remote res, comp adj and LSR +2 swingarm.

DsEater is probably the best one to speak with regarding this kit. He should be all broke in by now and I know he runs an aftermarket airbox, a full Yosh pipe, +2 swingarm and aftermarket tires.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

Old 06-19-2001, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

I personally think that harry at trintiy is an azzhole to put it plain and simple. I do hear good and bad though, it sounds like swytak had good luck. Their work is the best I have ever seen though!

The power is almost exactly like a 2 strokes, it hit HARD mid through top. It took me a while to get it jetted perfect but I finally have it dialed in (jetting on my site/ don't overlook your air screws!)

I ran up the phone bill alot talking to people about their motor kits. haha

ct seemed like they take a while and only had Je standard bore pistons at the time

powroll only had a std bore piston

Fst (dunlap) or as some call him onelap only answered the phones a few hours a day, after contacting him he said that wiseco had his pistons on backorder.

well out to put on my gyt-r billet starter cover and graves seat cover and billet radiator grille!!!!

these are all reputable companies and I would not think twice about trying any of them, they have been around a long time for a reason.my raptor 680R pics on my site of the motor work on the second page

Old 06-19-2001, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Terry,

Be sure you post some pictures of the GYT-R billet stuff.

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2001, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

I will have them on my site tomorrow