Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Phoenix area, east valley Raptor owners, please read! A plea for help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to request a BIG favor from one of you big-hearted Raptor owners in my area. I have a nagging problem with my machine that I have been chasing for about 2 months. (many of you have read about this in my previous posting) My machine cuts out and dies @ full throttle, top speed. I have troubleshooted this beast until I am blue in the face, and have checked everything at this point, and I do mean EVERYTHING. I feel like I have an ignition related problem, and have even gone so far as to replace the stator & ignition coil, to no avail. Carbs have been taken apart 3 and 4 times and everything has been double checked many times. The only component that I cannot check is the CDI unit. I suspect mine is flaking out @ hi rpm and possibly causing the problem. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to meet up with me for a short while and temporarily swap out CDI's so that I can determine if this is the problem without having to buy an expensive component from the dealer that I cannot return? I just need to see if I am on the right track, and this is the easiest and most fool-proof way to do it. The CDI is quick and easy to change out, and will not take long to do. I would be tremendously grateful if someone would be so kind as to help me out. Please e-mail me at dunaticdana@cs.com, or call me at 480-988-0862. I would be willing to offer the kind soul a small monetary reimbursment if necessary for the trouble. Thanks!

Old 06-26-2001, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Scott!

I will see if my husband will do this. We live in Gilbert, too, and he has a 2001 Raptor, so I will see if he wouldn't mind. I will let you know what he says!

Corry

Old 06-27-2001, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, Sandhopper! Not trying to be a pain or anything, but any other alternative ends up being a potential costly mistake! Just trying to eliminate possibilities in the easiest manner. I would try to make this as painless for you guys as possible. The CDI box is under the seat, and very accessible. This quirk on my Raptor is absolutely driving me nuts! Let me know what you might be able to do. And, if I can ever help you guys out with anything, I'd be glad to!

Old 07-03-2001, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

Damn guys, I didn't think I was asking for someone's firstborn! I get the feeling people think that somehow swapping CDI's is gonna blow theirs out. Not the case! Just a simple test that won't take but a half hour max. I really hoped someone would be kind enough to help....wouldn't ask anything that I would not be willing to do for someone else in the same situation. Somehow I've got to be sure before shelling out big bucks on a part I cannot return. Anyone willing to reconsider? Please???

Old 07-04-2001, 01:14 PM
Range Rover

Doesn't sound like ignition to me. If ignition, it'll have problem in any gear.

Sound to me like the carb vent hose is pinched. Check for kinked vent hose at under the aluminum bracket just under where the rear fuel tank mounts. The vent hose loops around under this bracket and is secured by a clamp. If the clamp is not mounted straight, it can pinch the hose. Try this first and let me know.

Old 07-04-2001, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply, Raptech. Actually, at the onset of this problem, I did find the vent tube was pinched. I corrected this, and THOUGHT the problem would be immediately solved. In reality, it made absolutely no difference. I am very proficient in all phases of repairs on these things as well, and have literally checked ALL the obvious things to no avail. The carbs have been taken apart, checked and rechecked 3 times (jetting, float level, all pasages free from obstructions)...they are not at fault. I've got a new stator, pickup, and ignition coil installed also without results. This thing is driving me crazy! Everything checks out, but as you know one cannot check the CDI function, and that is the last component in question. I know this doesn't sound like and ignition problem...that was exactly my feeling at first. But where do you go when everything fuel system related checks out fine? I've never had anything play with my mind this badly before. What would you do at this point? If you need me to answer any other troubleshooting questions, ask away. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Please feel free to e-mail me directly if you would. I really appreciate it.

Old 07-04-2001, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

scottd: If I had a Raptor I would help you in a second. Come on Raptor owners, help this guy out!!

Old 07-05-2001, 12:29 AM
Range Rover

i DONT KNOW IF U HAVE ALREADY SAID SOMETHING ABOUT THIS OR NOT BUT HAVE U CHECKED YOUR GAS TANK VENT? I KNOW THAT WHEN I WENT TO MARENGO (IN LOUISIANA) FOR A MUD RIDE...MY 4WHEELER DIED ON ME IN A HOLE AND I COULDNT FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS WRONG. UNTIL I CHECKED THAT GAS TANK VENT AND FOUND THAT MUD HAD FOUND IT WAY INTO THE LINE, SO I TOOK IT OFF, BLEW ALL THE MUD OUT OF THE LINE, STUCK IT BACK ON AND WENT BACK TO RIDING.

JUST MY 2 CENTS

HOPE THIS HELPS,
WILLIAM

Old 07-05-2001, 12:39 PM
Range Rover

One last thing, in your carbs, did you remove and check the needle valve seats for obstruction (float valve seats)? This is often over looked. If debris get in there it can restrict fuel flow and can replenish at WOT.

If that's not it, let me know and I'll send you my CDI box.

Old 07-05-2001, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Come on AZ Raptor riders, help out Scott. Scott, I was this close to buyin a Raptor and if I would have did, I probalby make the three hour drive to Gilbert to help you out. But to no avail I went with a 400 EX sorry.

Quick Reply: Phoenix area, east valley Raptor owners, please read! A plea for help!