Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Trailer Tips... 6" siderails....GVW and leaf springs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2001, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just built a 6'x14' trailer from a kit that included everything but the tires/wheels, floor, safety chains and paint, for $700. Add about $300 for that stuff. It took 3 days to finish it, a lot of MIG welding, but great light weight 14 guage 2"x4" construction with 1.5"x1.5" square tubing siderails.
It's a conventional size utility trailer and wasn't quite wide enough to side load the new Grizzly, about 6'3" long. But by lowering the siderails to 6", it not only holds the new Grizz just fine side loaded, cradled, like a tire up against a curb, but it allows for sideloading without gates. You just drive right up over the side rails, and then off the other side when you off load, no need for reverse. Even the Raptor with stock 20" tires and a swing arm skid plate made it no problem. The generous 5' ramps, also square tubing let you load or unload virtually anywhere on or off the trailer. No gates, no rattles, structurally superior, simple. And I road tested it with all three quads to 95mph for a few miles with no bad habits like sway.

I put two 3500 lb axles with leaf springs on here, I think I want to take some leaves out and lighten the spring rate though. I'm only carrying 1,500 lbs of quad. Cutting back to about 5,000 lb. would make it ride better loaded and unloaded. It's okay loaded, but empty it is bouncing an awful lot. Any recommendations out there for spring rates and 3 quads on tandems? This trailer will see other duties, but primarily is the new quad mover...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2001, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

Hey Alex,

On the trailer I just built I used one 3500 lb axle and was worried about having to much axle for my GVW. I had the trailer weighed empty and it was 1010 lbs. I have about 1100 lbs of atv's on there and and it rides realy nice. Also my tongue weight is 225 lbs so I am right in there at the 7% to 12% recomended total at the tongue. As far as removing springs, I really don't know. How often are you going to haul the trailer around empty and if it is riding OK loaded is it a concern. I would call one of the trailer manufactures and ask for there advice. Those short trailer springs don't seem to improve ride a lot by removing a leaf or two, it only lessens the GVW.

Arlan

Old 07-07-2001, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Arlan, weighing this new trailer sounds like a really good idea. I noticed my old Big tex 5x12 tandem tows better empty than the new one does empty. Not that big a deal, but it had a 5,000 lb GVW. This new one is 7,000 lb and I don't think the frame is capable of it even though the axles are. This kit was for one 3500 lb axle, I added the second axle (always got to fugg with it don't I?). I had just tried my friends 6x12 single axle with my 3 quads on it and it swayed over 60. I love tandems. I could have gone with two 2,000 lb axles and springs, but I think the 3,500 lb axles with 2,500 lb springs makes more sense. I think I can swap springs for free, an air wrench makes pretty easy work out of changing them.
I'm still waiting for fenders, so I will be messing around with the trailer this week anyway. Pismo is just a little over a week away, and I want this trailer and the new Grizzly dialed in before we go. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]