Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help! My Banshee's locked up

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 08:54 PM
jiz
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was workin just fine one day and i put it up and let it set for about two weeks. when i went back out to ride it wouldnt start. i checked the plugs and they were totally fould, i mean BLACK. i fix that problem and kept kicking it. all of a sudden it wouldnt kick, it was just stuck. i tried push starting it and it wouldnt roll with the clutch pulled in in any gear. the people at the Yamaha shop said my engine might be locked up. someone said that i could have a bent rod, broke crankshaft, cracked piston or piston sleeve, circlips out of place, ate up rings, and a bunch of other things. what does it sound like to you? will it be expencive to fix?

Old 07-11-2001, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

3 years ago I had a TRX 200X and one day , when I was ready to kick the starter, it get stuck.
The thing was that the 6th. gear was broken and a small piece fell in the gears.
I hope this will help you.
Good Luck

Old 07-12-2001, 04:58 AM
Trailblazer

<< 3 years ago I had a TRX 200X and one day , when I was ready to kick the starter, it get stuck.
The thing was that the 6th. gear was broken and a small piece fell in the gears.
I hope this will help you.
Good Luck
>>

SIXTH GEAR????????????????????

Tear that bad shee down. Sounds not good at all. Or you could send it to me, I will even pay for shipping. HAHAHA

Good luck with it.

Old 07-12-2001, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

jiz

More than likely a piston is siezed in one of the cylinders. The first thing to do is tear the top end down and check the cylinders and pistons, I bet they are fried. It's highly unlikely it's anything in the trans, if it was in the trans you would be able to crank it over with the clutch fully engaged.

Pistons and a bore job are under $300 if you do the work yourself.

If per chance your crank is bad, thats another $400 for a new wiseco crank. Bad part about the crank is it's a bitch to change, you have to remove the motor and split the cases. Not fun.

Brad

Old 07-12-2001, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

What year and what is the condition of the rest of the machine? If you are interested, I might buy it. I am in Kentucky until the middle of August. Let me know. Really the only way to know what is wrong is to open up the motor. Good luck

Old 07-12-2001, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

Make sure the cylinder(s) didn't fill up with fuel or anti-freeze also. Pull the plugs and try kicking it again. If not then procede:

Pull the clutch cover off first. Look to see that something isn't bound up with the kick starter gear, idler gear, or clutch basket.
Then if no problems are apparent; take the clutch basket off and try to turn the crank over by hand to eliminate anything with that side of the house. If you can't turn the crank over and you've eliminated the chance that is has filled up with fuel or anit-freeze, tear down the top end to further diagnose.

You'll need a 31( or 32?) mmm socket to get the center nut off, and either a clutch holding tool available from Motion Pro or an impact gun otherwise it'll just spin. Sometimes you can put it in gear and hold the rear brake and get it to loosen that way.

Put the bike up on a stand and try to turn the rear wheels over with it in gear. If you know that it is in gear and it spins free, try shifting gears again while spinning the main shaft(the shaft the clutch attatches to) and see if it will engage in the next gear. If not it's likely something has malfunctioned in the transmission and is again likely a tear down will be required to further diagnose.

Drain your tranny oil and look at it for metal flakes in it. Listen to the transmission as you roll it over and listen for abnormal noise(crunch, clank, grind, tweak, clank.....)

Your problem has to be one or the other(tranny-clutch-kickstarter or crank-cyl-piston) and by removing the clutch system you seperate those systems so each can be diagnosed.

Good luck and let us know what you find...

Old 07-12-2001, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

I bet you busted a rod? It could have happened last time you rode it, my banshee ran with a busted rod until I let off the gas then the rod fell down and bent around the crank. Tear that sucker apart and see whats going on, make sure you take some pictures, I have a banshee manual I'll sell cheap if you are interested.

Old 07-13-2001, 12:58 AM
Trailblazer

The 86-87 200X's had 6 speeds. Did he say TRX? maybe same tranny.

Old 07-13-2001, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer

I had a TEX 200X . It was a four wheeler made in Mexico by Honda. It was the same as the ATC 200X but with a different tranny that had 6 gears. To tell you the truth, I had 5 very happy years with that quad. It was from the year 93´. I have pics if you are interested

Old 07-13-2001, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

tow strokes??

Quick Reply: Help! My Banshee's locked up