Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How good is the Wolverine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to get a quad. I want light weight! Is the wolverine as good as its specs suggest? Does the 4X4 wolverine go through more mud than a 2 wheel drive utility that has larger (25&quot tires? I want to trail ride, go through mud, have a little rack capacity, hunt, and be a little sporty at times. Will not be towing any big loads, just light work. Is this the machine for me?

CLAWS

Old 07-14-2001, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

CLAWS

I was in the same boat 3 months ago
i had a 95 kodiak it was a good work horse. but the ride on 50" trails
sucked & it topped out at 45 to 48 mph plus at that speed it sound like
the motor was going to come apart.

I was thinking of a 400ex but i need four wheel drive for winter.
then i looked at 500 4x4 scrambler super plush ride plenty of power
true four wheel drive.

Then it hit me i did not want another 600+lb quad.
also i could not bring my self to buy a belt drive after two of my
riding buddys have had problems with there's

The wolverine is a good all around machine.
it is not the fastest but in tight woods is where it shines.
will it out due a 2x4 with 25" tires in most case's yes.
a lot of times it depends on who bottems out first.

From looking at your post the wolverine is the quad for you

Old 07-14-2001, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

I wanted a Wolverine but didn't get one. It would've fit me much better than my 300ex does. I do a lot of trail riding, but in the winter im inside :-P.

You describe what the Wolv was for, so get it!

Old 07-14-2001, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

I would also suggest the Rancher. It's a solid vehicle too. Check into that too before you go ahead and get the Wolv.

Old 07-14-2001, 04:36 PM
Trailblazer

Like others, about 2 months ago I was in the same situation.
A friend just bought a souped up blaster, another had a new rancher, and another had a 400 ex.
I loved the speed of the 400 and the blaster ran well too.
The rancher performed extremely well on trails and in mud.
But being a college student (no cash!!) i could not justify spending the $5600 on just a 2 wheel drive wheely popper like the 400ex.
I wanted something that could keep up on the trails go through the mud with the rancher and be able to drive in the winter. and maybe let pops put a plow on to clear the driveway.

the Wolverine was the ticket.

I am very satisfied with mine especially after the k&n, jetkit, and fmf megamax pipe.
I can only give you muddin details with the few quads i've ridden with.
The rancher is 4 wheel drive with 24's. I can go everywhere he can but twice as fast.
I can keep up with the modded to the limit blaster. The modded 400 blows me away. But on the trails it's not so bad.

My advice: You want the same thing that I wanted. I got the Wolvy and am very pleased

Old 07-14-2001, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Go for the gold, go for the Wolvy. Never fear the Wolvy is here. The wolvy will go through really deep stuff pulling a big load. But since you are not pulling big loads that is even better. It handles very well and is a light weight sporty 4x4. The wolvy will meet all or even more than your current expectations.

Old 07-17-2001, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider

I too have had many bikes and when the Wolvy came out a few years back, I said it would be my next bike.. it has the best of everything. Great suspension, 4x4, great top end etc.... only thing I think it lacks is mudflaps (or some kind of better mud protection) and maybe a super low first gear added (to make it a 6 spd). I bought mine with a winch, and have used it to pull other bikes out, never myself. It is light enough in the mud that you can usually work your way out. I have some nice pics of a nasty trail we went down. None of the bikes in action are mine, but I went thru EVERY hole the others did. my wolvy on a ride

One 2x4 did make me look bad. He had 26" mud machines and he plowed thru some holes I had trouble in.

I hope to add a pipe, filter, rejet and 25x8 and 25x10 Bearclaws sometime.

Old 07-17-2001, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

the wolf is a great quad.,........ya won't be dissapointed

Old 07-17-2001, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

if you want sport and 4x4 also, the wolv is the way to go. it is light enough, has get up and go, handles like a dream. and the possible mods are endless. check out the stroker kit question earlier. all those extras are nice on the other quads but I like the kiss principle. (keep it simple stupid) if performance is what you want. you can get there with the wolverine.

Old 07-18-2001, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you buy a Wolverine you will not be dissappointed. It is everything that it is advertised to be. There isn't a Warrior or 400EX that can hang with me in the thick woods "i don't ride with any Rapters". The pull of the front wheels lets you dice through the tight trails without nary a push, it is a truely awesome handler in the tight stuff. Because of the light weight I have actually been able to get through thick mud that the heavier 4x4's havn't. The only place that the wolverine is lacking is torque, due to the gearing. But on the other hand the gears also allow it to run 55 mph. I tossed around buying a sport ride and heavy 4x4 too but decided I wanted to do it all. I can with the Wolverine. Also like the previous post said.." there are about as many aftermarket mods for the Wolverine as there is for the sport machines.

00 Recon
00 Wolverine