Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Still unsure about getting the Douglas .190's

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get a set of 4 Maxxis Razrs for my Warrior. Don't know if I should get them mounted on the Douglas .190's or just get the 4 tires and mount them on my stock rims. Any advice out there on what to do. Will the .190's hold up to abuse or not?

Old 07-17-2001, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

I have Douglas .190 on my Mojave and I like them, but the stock rims on it were junk! My friend has a 2001 Warrior and I think the rims are really nice, atleast for factory. Unless yours are beat up or bent I wouldn't get the douglas's yet. I would spend the money on other mods[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]! My Douglas's aren't the rolled bead types however, but still I wouldn't get them if I were in your shoes.

Old 07-17-2001, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

I love the way the douglas's look, personally i dont like the curves on the stock ones, atleast get front douglases, I know I'm gonna get some when I get new tires. but thats my opinion

Old 07-18-2001, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

I bought my 95 Warrior used and it came with Douglas rims on the back and ITP rims the front. The Douglas rims hold up really well and still look pretty good. The ITP's don't look well at all. I run Razr's also, 23's in front and 22's in back. The stock Warrior rims are pretty cheap and are not as strong as the Douglas rims.

Old 07-18-2001, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Not sure about Yamaha or other mfg's factory rims, but the stock ones on my 400EX are way better than the Douglas .190's and ITP .190's that I have. Most of my friends with these aftermarket rims have bent them up (bad) within the first couple of rides. I think rims WITHOUT that rolled edge catch onto objects that you hit and are much more prone to damage.

Tough call. It is nice to have multiple sets of rims/tires. I have stock Ohtsus on my stock rims, Realtors on my ITP rims and Holeshots on my Douglas rims. I would recommend getting the best quality rolled-edge rims you can afford (ie, .190's with beadlocks).

Good luck.

Old 07-18-2001, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Keep the rims.( they are more than adequate for trails and pits )However, if your riding tracks i would reccommend douglas w/ beadlocks.( for your safety and the riders around you ). Instead of rims...how about a pipe ( for HP ) or some new handle bars ( lets get you off that seat... the stockers promote sitting ). If you do anything at all...do this. GET THAT DAMN STOCK AIR FILTER OUT. NOW!...call someone...anyone...and get your self a pro-flo filter from Pro-Design. You won't be riding on those new tires for sure, if you miss align that filter next time you clean it.( that is the biggest flaw in the Warrior ) don't ignore it.
AK

Drive Fast. Take Chances

Old 07-18-2001, 11:13 AM
Range Rover

MIA416

Your stock rims must be better than my wife's. I personally feel those stock Honda rims are junk. Hers are all beat up. I can't wait to get some 10" Douglas rims for hers. My stock Suzuki rims were junk too. I've got Douglas .190 rims all the way around now, but they aren't real good either. A few weeks ago I bent my right rear bad enough that the tire wouldn't hold air. Everyone thought I was pretty stupid beating on my rim with my hammer.

Old 07-18-2001, 11:18 AM
Trailblazer

I personally like the stock rims. I bent the back one in though about a 1/2 inch and it is still ridable. I called for a replacement and they want $200 for one. I have looked into the Douglas and the ITP rims. I like the reinforced rings (Race Rims) welded to both the inside and the outside edge although if I can get a really good price on the bead locks then I would get a set of them. I also just saw an article on the new carbon fiber wheels. From what I read, they sound like they are very forgiving and they are a bead lock type of wheel. I may even consider those which so happen to be about the same cost as the factory wheel each. The only thing holding me back on the carbon fiber is the color, which is black and I would really like a chrome finish or brushed aluminum.

Old 07-18-2001, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

P.S. if someone is looking to get rid of the rear factory wheels, I may be interested in buying them from you.

Old 07-18-2001, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

I have .190's on my 400EX and they are very tough. This past weekend, my friend with a Raptor, bent 2 rims, 1 front, 1 back.

My .190's have been through hell and they are still straight, although, a friend was riding my 400 and hit a huge rock in 4th and not only bent the .190 but the axel as well. He really hit it.

I am very happy with the .190's. The only complaint is the weight difference between rims and tires. When you take a stock 2 ply radial, and you put a 6 ply aftermarket tire on the machines, I bet you add at least 5 pounds a wheel. 4 wheels are 20 pounds at least. More for the rears... So the combined weight increase from the rims and rubber will make a difference. Not to mention that you may need gearing changes to handle new sizes if you don't match up the stock ones (ie, put 22" tires on where stocks were 20&quot.

Good luck,

RM

Quick Reply: Still unsure about getting the Douglas .190's