Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 09:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to find out what you Banshee owners think or know. This is a Carb Jet question. I have FMF pipes and silencers, Boysen Rad Valve with carbon fiber reeds, K&N air filter with supercharger (outerwear), I removed the goose neck for more air flow. My question is: With all of these aftermarket parts what should my jet size be? Any takes? TY
Mike

Old 07-17-2001, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

310-320... Sea level, 65 degrees. R u using the air box lid?

Old 07-17-2001, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer

I'm using the lid but took the goose neck off. WOW 310-320.... I only went to 290. It's an easy fix though. Better to be safe with 310's or 320's than burning my pistons up. How bout 32:1 that too rich?

Old 07-17-2001, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

I have basically the same mods...My wiseco pistons are once over...fmf fatty's....everything else you have but the rad valves. I am currently at 290 for the mains. 310 seems high but I don't doubt it.
How do your plugs look? Does the bike seem to be using all it's power. Skip or hesitate? The main jet is usually the easiest part of the carb to get right....since it's only working on the top end of the throttle curve.
It's the pilots , air screws and clip positions that seem to give everyone the most problems. And as far as that goes...I don't think there is a cure all recipe. It's trial and error until you get it right. To be honest with you...I cannot even remember what size pilots I am using...or even where the clip on the needle is.... It's been well over a year since I have had to take the carbs apart.
For a while, it seems that I was taking my carbs apart on a weekly basis....But it seems to be dialed in just right now. (knock on wood) It took me a while to get there...and many curse words later..I'm loving the banshee. It starts on the first few kicks....does not seem to overheat...and has just plain been reliable as the 400ex that sits next to it. Now to find legal places to ride the thing before I up and sell it.

p.s. I am running with my airbox lid totally off with the k&n and outwear. As long as I stay out of the streams...it runs like a champ. One thing that you can try that helped me...was to use a can of tent waterproofer on the outer wear...not alot...just a bit. It helps the water run off the filter and not get sucked into the carbs. It did not seem to restrict airflow. But if you plan on leaving the airbox lid on...you should have few problems. In order to take full advantage of the k&n...I feel the lid should be off....I did not see too much of a difference until I took the lid off.

Old 07-17-2001, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer

Well that's some good info... I will probably try both versions (run with the box on and then off) I haven't rode through too much water but I'm sure I will have to. If I end up taking the entire box lid off I should probably go up to 300 or maybe even 310. As far as I know the carbs have never been messed with. Have any of you "jimmied" up some type of storage kit for plugs and tools, things to that nature... I'm thinking of valcro or something. Thanx for the info.
Mike

Old 07-17-2001, 12:46 PM
Range Rover

I have a coolhead w/20cc domes, a K&N air filter w/a outerwear in the stock airbox w/o the lid running PTR pipes and I use 300 mains at sea level at 75 degrees, and I run great. The only riding I due is in the dunes. Adjust for you altitude (smaller mains for higher altitude).