Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blaster questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm looking at getting a new blaster. I currently have a recon and like it except that it's a slug and the semi- auto is kinda cheezzy. Anyways, how reliable are blasters? Do they have any problems besides the brakes? what's the top speed on a sock one? Last but not least what's the deal with 2 strokes in the future. Are they going to be illegal?

thanks

Old 07-18-2001, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Mick,

I owned a Blaster a while back, and I really liked it. Like I said, it was a while back...I was only 14 and weighed about 130lbs or so. It was my first "Sport Quad". For my size it was a great little toy, and it was great on the trails. Now to your questions....

<< Anyways, how reliable are blasters? >>

The only problem that I ever had with mine is I broke the clutch cable one day. For under $30 (I think it may have been $19) I was good to go again. When I sold it, the rear bearings were starting to go as well. Nothing else though.

<< Do they have any problems besides the brakes? >>

I never even had brake problems. Worked great the whole time that I owned it.

<< what's the top speed on a sock one? >>

I've never heard of a &quot;sock&quot; Blaster, but if they are the same speed as a stock Blaster it is around 55mph give or take a few. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

<< Last but not least what's the deal with 2 strokes in the future. Are they going to be illegal? >>

I'm not very knowledgable on this subject, and I don't know about where you live, but I wouldn't imagine that they would be &quot;illegal&quot;. Even if they stop producing the 2-strokes, the ones already made will &quot;grandfathered&quot;. I'd say at least.

If your not a big guy, I think that Blaster wouldn't be a bad quad over all.

-Josh

Old 07-19-2001, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

Blasters are the most reliable 2-Strokes on the market!! Easy with oil injection.

No 2-strokes will never be illegal. In the states that is... Well, i sure hope not!!

Old 07-19-2001, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

I know a kid who uses his blaster to haul around a trailer with mulch/stuff. He uses his dad's rancher to jump and trail ride. The rancher doesn't have a trailer hitch but his blaster does, strange people....

Anyway, blasters are one of the most reliable two stroke out there. properly taken care of they can outlast a four stroke. They are incredibly easy to work on and the aftermarket has a huge supply of goodies. Top speed is about 55 mph depending on rider/riding conditions.

About the legality of 2 strokes in the future. There is something in the laws (I don't know what it is), like, if it was made before the laws were passed, the laws don't effect it. Like antique cars can still drive on the roads even though they don't meet current saftly and emmisions standards. Those cars were produced when those laws didn't exist, so they aren't effected. I hope two-strokes have the same thing.

Old 07-19-2001, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Right, a Grandfather Clause. Like I said above.

I think you'd be safe buying a two stroke. They may stop making them some day, but I doubt that they will ever be illegal. There are a lot of 2 stroke engines out there, not just quads and bikes.

-Josh

Old 07-19-2001, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

The blasters are very reliable,but soon as the brakes get wet they are gone, atleast until they dry out. I realy doubt that two stroke will ever be illegal, in our lifetime anyway, theres just two many of them out there. the blaster will do 55-59 depending on the your wieght.

Old 07-20-2001, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

dude I have a 2001 blaster it kicks ***.then i put a pro circuit pipe with a 304 and it really kicks ***. O and the k&amp;N air filter. KICKS ***

Old 07-20-2001, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer

2 Cycles will never be illegal. they will just stop making them.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Form Previous posts it sounds like the Blaster Really Kicks ***. One more thing the law that you are talking about dirt817 is called the Grandfather law.