Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

5-6 questions if ya don't mind....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a little extra cash (about $350) and even though I should use it to pay off part of my credit card, I think I am going to buy something for my Warrior. It needs a present! Not only am I looking for opinions on each of my questions, I am also looking for suggestions on which idea/purchase to go w/. Here is what I am wondering:

1. Looking at replacing the stock tires. The manual says they are 22" tires yet they don't quite measure that high. I am looking at getting either 22" Bandits (cause I don't think they make one any taller) or a 25" 589 M/T (cause I don't think they make one any shorter.) I do mostly trail riding w/ some pretty good mud holes, but very little true "mud bogging". I also get out and ride the MX track a little. What do y'all recommend? ...and am I wrong about the sizes offered?

2. I currently ride in blue jeans and heavy duty work/cowboy boots. They work find but traction is a little limited and if I were to crash I would like a little more protection. I am thinking about getting boots or pants. The O'Neal M-840 boots are about $40 cheaper and the only difference I can see between them and the Fox Trackers is that they don't offer the "whatever" inner liner to keep you feet dry. I am wondering if my feet are really going to get that wet. I wear my leather cowboy boots all day, spent HOURS standing in 3-6 inches of water and pushing my quad out multiple times and my feet never did get wet. I also would like to know about pants. I am considering the O'Neal Element ($62) or the Fox 180's ($99.) What do y'all say? Are pants really that helpful/important?

3. I am thinking of getting a K&N filter to replace the stock one. The only thing is I don't want to have to rejet twice, since I know that by next summer I want a different pipe. Should I go ahead and get the filter (if so do I use the stock air box or get a different set-up?) What about Outerwears?

4. Just for curiousity... what good are Shockwears? shock covers, whatever they are called? I just don't see the point in them.

Thanks a million for what-ever input you may have.

Old 07-20-2001, 01:08 PM
Range Rover

1st - I went with the 20"x9"x11" Holeshots on the rear and 21"x10"x7" on the front and I love them. No more rollover in the corners and traction to boot. I tried the Razor 22"x9"x11 but felt like it was to much tire, they were HUGE. The stock tire say 22"x9"10" but the only part thats 22" tall is the middle. With the Razors or Holeshots the tire is flat there for 22" tall all the way across. I measured the ground clearance before and after and only lost 3/4".

2nd - Boots are a must! I didn't like them when I first started wearing them but now I won'tget on the quad without them. I got the Thor T20 I think for $109.00.

3rd - I went with the Pro Flow Intake system. It comes with a Uni Filter and a billet aluminum adapter that converts the air box to a clamp on filter. I didn't have to rejet for this mod because the air flow is was not increased enough to make it run lean. The major gain of this mod is the peace of mind knowing the filter is on good and tight. The stock setup requires perfect placement of the air box lid to seal the filter and even then when I would remove it for cleaning it looked like it had sucked air from between the filter and the box because I had grease (used to seal the filter to the box)in the intake tract.

Conclusion - The tires make the biggest improvement but the filter is like a warranty! If it was me I would do the filter first for peace of mind!

Old 07-20-2001, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Now that I know how the tires are measured, I am definitely going w/ 22" tires. Other than that all my questions are still up in the air.
Dirt Devils are good looking tires, but the look too "round" on the top to handle well if I am riding fast, or on MX track.

Thanks for the input and please keep it coming!

Old 07-20-2001, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Shockwears are supposed to protect the seals in the shocks from dirt and mud as much as possible. It is debatable whether they help much. I think for most riders they probably help some but not for those who ride constantly in the mud. You will know when one of your shock seals goes because you won't have any oil in it. You won't have any compression or rebound so your bike will ride like it is on springs.

Old 07-20-2001, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

Here's a thought on tires, take a look a sure-tracks. Good all around tire with a flat profile, good wear, and light for a non-mx tire. I run them on both my quads for woods (20inch radials, and a set of 18x9.5-8 Turf tamers on the way for mx), and love the grip I get from them.

Old 07-20-2001, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

MY SUGGESTION:
Pay off your credit card bill. The interest rates are gonna kill you and if you're young like me a 18-20% APR will ruin your credit.
Get your priorities straight! I'm selling my 300ex for 3000 just so I can have more options with my money but that's just me.

Old 07-20-2001, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Well if I was smart then yes I probably would, and I am glad to see that you are going about it that way. I am getting the $300 IRS check and $140 work bonus, so I think what I am going to do is buy the 22" Bandits (total of about $100 after my discount w/ my dealer) and then put the other $300 or so on the credit card bill. If I could convince myself to spend it all then I wouldn't have to get y'alls opinions on what to buy first.

Thanks for the advice and although I always end up w/ enough money, I hope yours works out a little better for ya.
I'm only 22 so I know what it is like to be 18 and want more spending money.

Old 07-20-2001, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Good point about putting money towards the credit card. As far as the tires are concerned though I would get a pair of boots, not tires. Don't get the Warrior a present, get a present for yourself. I've seen broken ankles and broken toes because friends were riding in work boots. As old as you are your feet aren't going to grow anymore so getting a pair of boots will last you a long time. Face it your quad goes fine on the tires it has now but if you hurt yourself the only thing you'll be riding is a pair of crutches. Go for the boots!

Old 07-21-2001, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

I would agree that you need sport boots if you jump the atv. probably nerf bars too. someone in chat got 56 stitches under his knee. he had neither and the atv ran over him and the peg put a huge gash in him