Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Am I the only banshee owner to suffer from this shifting problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I was just wondering about this...
I can not ride more than twice (like 2 afternoons of riding) before the bolts that limits the travel of the shifter (and on which the spring is, also) untightens, then unscrews...and falls off, leaving me with a shifter that doesn't get back in central position.
Last time, I put a Nielstop nut, and a lock washer...and this thing still came off. I've had enough of this...

Has anyone had the same problems? and if so, how did you get rid of it (I'm not keen on Loctite inside the cases...)

At least, the shee's breakdown allowed me to go trucking with the Ranger, have fun and get stuck BAD (it took 2 jeeps, 3 straps, and a couple hours....hehe)

Thanks

Old 07-22-2001, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

After you tighten the nut is it possible to drill it and put a cotter pin in it?

Old 07-22-2001, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

The cotter pin thing would be sweet...if it could work!!

Actually, theere is a bolt and a nut. the bolt screws in the case (it can go too deep), so, when it is screwed in enough not to touch the outside case AND keeping the shifter triangle from going too far, then, you put the nut on it, to make sure it won't move...that's where I put the nielstop nut. But the whole bolt/nut thing must unscrew somehow...and not do its job (besides ruining ,my ride). Maybe I shouldput a 90 deg cotter pin, one end slotted in the case, and the other in the bolt...mmmh...sounds nice...I might do this...but I shouldn't have to...in stock form, there isn't any cotter pin...but I might as well do it...

Thanks

Old 07-22-2001, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

Okay so your having problems with the bolt that holds a little spring loaded arm on it with a wheel on the end of it that rides on the shift star. Correct?? If so just clean the threads on the bolt and put a few drops of blue loctite on them and tighten it down. you will have no problems with loctite in there. I used it on the same bolt and also on the nut that hold the clutch basket on. picture of the area in question

Old 07-22-2001, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

It's the bolt the most on the left (right above the one holding the arm with the roller). Do you have a pic detailing all the parts with this bolt? Caus when I look at your pic, it seems as there are several little parts...when on my shee, there was only the bolt and the nut!! I got the lock washer from yamaha...but it doesn't have the same shape as theone on your pic (especially the little "tongue" in the upper right hole)...

It really looks like it was all messed up in there...I'm gonna look in the microfiches (hope I can find what I want) at Yamaha of Troy. I really think the previous owner messed everything in there!!