Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor just lost 2nd transmision!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the transmission done once already in February and now it has gone again!!! I'm sure most of you have seen my other post on this topic. I'm still not pleased at all !! I DO NOT shift without the clutch, I DO NOT shift under wide open throttle, I have hit neutral maybe twice since the last rebuild, and I do do ALLOT of maintenance !! I do also ride hard, but have also had other new wheelers when I was younger and dumber and not nearly as many problems !! I have had nothing but bad luck trying to talk with Yamaha, and have had many problems with this "HIGH PERFORMANCE" wheeler. Needless to say I probably will not buy another Yamaha!!
Please do not post messages that say I'm abusing this thing or I don't know how to shift or all the other criticism I only want to let other people that have this problem know I've now had it twice along with all the other problems !!

Problems to date since October
Broken throttle cable
Bent bars from shipping
Terrible clutch fad
Three punctured tires
One bent front wheel
Have repaired front brake line twice now on 2nd new line
On 3rd set of rear pads and never use rear brakes.
Axle is bent
Replaced front sprocket, it was round !!
Chain has broke now is stretched to far to adjust, (yes I have bought 4 big cans of chain lube)
Rear sprocket is about gone
Rear shock compression adjuster doesn't do anything
Multiple lost bolts !!!!
Even the after market Yamaha pipe I have Rattled like he!!
Carb boots split
Starter one way clutch replaced
And now its getting its 2nd transmission job !!!
Im sure there's more I forgot and some are my fault, but still Not good for a nine month old machine even if it is the first year in production !!!

Old 07-28-2001, 08:21 PM
RIP Dear Friend

One item at a time. On your third set of rear brake pads and your not using your rear brake! I have only 31 hrs on mine but the chain looks no different than when it was new going by deflection. I have went around and checked all my bolts as you should do on most any new machine, nothing has come loose or fell off yet. My transmission seems to shift fine. I am very happy with my purchase of my 01 Raptor. How long had you had the machine when all this started to happen?

Old 07-28-2001, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

I have had mine since late september. A few months back the tie rod end snapped, no big deal. But now my tranny is finding a nuetral between every gear. And Yamaha acts all stupid when you call the 1800 number. never another Yamaha for me!!!

Old 07-28-2001, 08:30 PM
RIP Dear Friend

If all this starts to happen to mine I don't think I would buy a Yamaha again either. This is my first Yamaha. When I see posts like this one it makes me think when is mine going to fall apart. Oh well, so far with mine,its been ready to go, ready to launch.

Old 07-28-2001, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

RAPTORYFM660r,
I very seldom use the rear brakes, Its due to the fact the rotor should hace cleaning holes in it to clean out the mud and dirt. I do cheak bolts very often thats why I now I lost some, I have since lock tighted alot of them.
Problems to date since October When i got it. I had problems from day one with bent bars!! Not good for a nine month old machine even if it is the first year in production About 1000-1500 hours

Old 07-28-2001, 10:53 PM
RIP Dear Friend

2strokeDiehard,
Wow, Thats alot of riding for 9 months. You must live on that machine. Two years ago when we got our Recon we rode that machine all most every weekend for 6 months and I only put 209 hrs on it then. I have had good luck with the machines I have at present and haven't been back to the dealer for anything except for the Raptor and I just took that in last week for them to adjust the valves because of their suggestion or I would not have done that. I wish I would have been on the forum sooner because I sure didn't have to purchase the machine. I read the raptor test in all the mags and even the test that is on ATV Connection. I really didn't know anyone who had one and the dealers around here do not have test rides. I have been a Honda diehard for a long time. Its when I sat on the Raptor and then the 400 ex I thought the Raptor had a better feel to it. Well I am going to slap myself silly if I start having problems becuase the check could have just as easily been written to Honda.

Old 07-28-2001, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Either you got an incredibly uncommon lemon, or there's some stuff you're not telling us! Why haven't any of the rest of us (even a small percentage) experienced problems to this level? Man, you need to chase Murphy away!!!

Old 07-28-2001, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

Should have bought a Banshee.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2001, 12:32 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Or maybe a Yellow 400ex. Yellow ones are faster from what I have read[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2001, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

Well 2strokeDiehard, sounds to me like you made it into the top 10 of Yamahas most unwanted list of customers. That's alot of hours in 9 months! Do you ride the quad to work everyday or what?

Quick Reply: Raptor just lost 2nd transmision!!!