Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nocando...

Thanks for the honest post.

-Josh

Old 08-03-2001, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Piranha,

My brother-in law has a 400 Sport ver nice quad it's all stock with about 20 hours on it an dhe got it for $2800, it runs mint. He is looking at some upgrades. What would you recomend out of what you have done and what has made the most difference.

Nocando

Old 08-03-2001, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

Nocando,

Well, he might as well kill a few birds with one stone right away and get an RcR Stage 1 kit if he can swing it. The kit consists of a pipe, silencer, jet kit, clutch kit, airbox mod, and air filter for $335 shipped. All of the mods go hand and hand. I mean, the stock Polaris filter is one of the most restrictive POS filters there is. A lot of people like to go with the UNI filter. It's a cheap mod, but as you know it won't add a huge difference, or maybe even as much as a noticable difference in power. The Pipes are what really add the power, and there are a few good ones to choose from. You have RcR (which I chose because they are the cheapest, but still VERY good), HPD, and Hot Seat Performance. There is also a company called FTR or G-Force racing, but I don't have any knowledge of them. Anyway, those companies specialize is Polaris performance parts, and they are all great. Like I said, I went with RcR because of the price of his kit. Rick Ritter is the owner and he is a great guy to deal with, and could answer any questions your brother may have, and give him recommendations depending on his riding style and such. Anyway, a clutch kit is also very important because you want to get the power to the ground the best you can. All of the above companies carry clutch kits as well. So basically if you are going to get a Pipe, you should get a filter, and if your going to get both of those, you need a clutch kit too. After those three primary mods he can move on to carbs, reeds, etc. , and if he wants to go very extreme...Porting.

I think that HPD's site is the most interesting, because it provides Dyno data as well. For $800 they can give you the mods to make the Polaris put out over 60hp, and for $1500 they can make the Polaris put out 75hp.

Anyway, there is a ton of stuff that he could (and some that he should) do to his Polaris. If he's on the net, have him contact me if he has any questions.

Later.

-Josh