Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Should I get the Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 11:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All right I'm set on the wolverine now. BUT, one more question.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Will the wolf still give a good ride even at slightly fast speeds down the trail w/ my wife hanging on to the back. Both of us together weight about 350 Ibs. Is this to much for this machine???
THANKS

Old 08-06-2001, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

I think it will be fine. When I take my wife with me I don't even change the preload settings. Granted I don't drive NEAR as aggressive when I'm riding 2-up.
If Yamaha would include a wrench in the tool kit for changing the preload it would be ideal, but even without one it's pretty easy to change using a big pair of channel-locks.

Old 08-07-2001, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldnt recomend it but, the rear shock is easy to adjust.

Old 08-07-2001, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

What wouldn't you recomend, a Wolverine, or adjusting the rear shock?

When you refer to adjusting the rear shock, are you talking about adjusting the spring preload, or actually adjusting the shock. IF you are talking about adjusting the shock, it's the first time I've heard of that, and I'd love to hear more.

Old 08-07-2001, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldnt recommend riding 2 person.

From what I see on the rear shock and from what I have read you can adjust it depending on ride preference. Either making it stiffer to hold more weight, or making it softer to ride smoother. Kind of like when you sit on a sport quad you feel it settle in, or when you get on a utility and it doesnt budge.

Old 08-07-2001, 11:24 PM
Range Rover

Hey Newfiebullet, long time since I talked or seen you on here.. Just got back from Quebec where my cousin just got married. Anyways, my cuz has a 2000 Banshee that he just recently blew a piston on from having it pinned going down an asphault trail they have on some of there trails out there which I found pretty cool.

I was telling him about my wolverine and he (being a mechanic) told me that he modified one of his buddies Wolverines with a manual clutch. He said that it was really easy to do and he also told me something that I remember you inquiring about a few months ago. He said that the way the auto clutch was built was made so that he could use the manual clutch but also keep the auto clutch.. I remember you asking about that but knowone really new much about it. He said that the guy was able to pull wheelies for miles with it. I would love to have that on mine but I probably won't.

I've almost had my wolverine for a year now and I love it. As far as mudding goes, I have a set of 25" Bear claws and I can go through lots of mud and water. I've gotten stuck but have been through some good marsh land that was no problem and I was following in the rutts of a Kodiak that has big mud tires on it with know problems. I have about 10 or 11 inches of clearance. Its a great all around machine and I would recommend it to anyone..

Hey check out some of my wolverine pics on my site: Copy and paste
http://communities.msn.ca/slywolf75satvdenn

Old 08-08-2001, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Hi there Slywolf,
You haven't seen me around much this summer because that's when I work the most, and don't get much time for the forum, or for playing on the quad. I've gotten a few rides in, but I'm looking forward to the fall when I'll have a little more time on my hands.

I recently replaced my cam-chain, and so got to dig into the motor of the Wolverine for the first time, and one of the things I noticed was that it would be easy to do the manual conversion without even opening the side of the motor with the clutch.

Could you find out what kind of lever set up he used? Did he drill a hole in the case? (that's the part I hate) or use the hole for the wires going to the mag?
Any other details you can give me would be great.

I put 25" tires with aluminum rims on my quad too, and I think it the best single improvement that can be made to the Wolverine. It's WAY better in every aspect, except handeling of course.

Nice talking to you again.

Old 08-08-2001, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider

Juice,

The adjustment you are refering to is the spring preload, which is not the same as having an adjustable shock.

Old 08-08-2001, 09:09 AM
Range Rover

In response to rubicon4X4's question about how the wolv compares to the big bears in the mud... well in the group I go out with, there are usually 2 bigbears, both 4X4... one with bearclaws and one with black waters. I myself ride a '96 Wolv with 25" Bearclaws. Almost every serious mud bog we come up to, I am usually the first one on the other side, and I usually have the least amount of difficulty. The bike us just geared so great, sits so high, and is so much lighter than those tanks, that there is just no comparison. The guys all tell me that it looks like I have more fun riding too, because while they're driving down the smoothest part of the trails or the flatest part of a pit, I'm zipping all around them jumping anything that will get me airborne, or climbing anything that looks fun. It really is a great bike, and while some of the really big CC bikes may edge out in front of you on straight aways, I haven't found anyone yet that will leave my Wolv in it's dust.

Old 08-08-2001, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

thenewfiebullet

That will still allow to adjust for weight though right?