Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 Kodiak Belt Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently, my '01 Kodiak has been finding it difficult to go through any deep water without the tranny belt slipping. I never had this problem until I got it really stuck up to the racks (muck & water) earlier this spring when I experienced it's first slip. Now, whenever I go through deep clean water (to the lights) it seems to need to rest/dry for a while due to the belt slip. I unplug the snorkel and air intake box and it takes a while to get back to gripping. Should I take the cover off and see if the belt has some crud on it, or perhaps does it need to be replaced? Again, I didn't have a problems with deep water this past year until I got it stuck up the racks in mud this year. I crossed rivers and even had to float it once to cross. Perhaps is crudded up? I'm a fairly novice driver, and even less of a mechanic, so any helpful hints/experiences would be appreciated on this topic.

Love my new Griz though.

2001 Kodiak 4x4 400(Green)
2002 Grizzly 4&4 660 (Camo)

Old 08-06-2001, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

I would start at the front air intake and work my way back looking for a loose clamp or anything which might be letting water into the belt. As long as water isn't going over the front air intake, your belt shouldn't slip. The only time my 2000 Kodiak belt has slipped was when the front air intake clamp(where the air intake attaches to the engine) came loose.
I reattached the clamp, drained the water,checked and tightened the other clamps and haven't had any other problems.

Old 08-06-2001, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, you were right. I'm trying to connect the SOB now and it's barely long enough. You'd think Yamaha would connect it with a longer rubber gasket.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-07-2001, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

Glad you found the problem. I'm not impressed with Yamaha's setup either. I would think a more flexible type material with some stronger clamps would be better than the hard plastic. Maybe some type of radiator hose with automotive clamps would work.

Old 08-07-2001, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I actually was able to get a 2 inch plumging rubber hose to replace it at my hardware store. It seems to work pretty good now.

Thanks again for the tip.

Old 08-08-2001, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

I had the same problem with my 2k Kodiac.I think yamaha should have put a lip on the end of the tube.It barely sticks into the connection.I reclamped mine but it seems I am always checking it now just because I fear it is going to come off.I was thinking of trying to find a radiator hose that is similar (and longer) to use instead.Other that that thsi quad has been trouble free like my 2 previous yamahas.

Old 08-08-2001, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

I never worried about crossing water with my Kodiak until the loose clamp caused my air inlet to come loose which allowed water in to the belt. I'm like you now Kodiac 1, constantly checking it to be sure it's still tight. I think we need to find a flexible type radiator hose and replace the hard plastic air inlet tube from the engine all the way to the top of the fender using a good automotive clamp. Of course, we would also probably need to do the rear. I can't imagine a radiator hose ever working loose or coming off.

Old 08-08-2001, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

I went to the hardware store today.They have a flexible joint for (sewage) pipes..Oh well.I think if I can match this up size wise this would be perfect.The next step is to take it off I guess and measure it.I saw someone said he had a 2 inch pipe?? It just does not look that big but I have not removed mine yet.Looks closer to 1.5 inch.
Kodiac 2000
wolverine 1995
big bear 1988

Old 08-08-2001, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

I've seen flexible radiator hose which was sort of a universal fit type hose that might work if you could find the right diameter. Let us know if you find anything that works.

Old 08-09-2001, 12:39 PM
Trailblazer

My advice...put snorkels on your Kodiak if you go through deep mud or water. I went through some shallow water one day, had it splashing all over the bike, and the belt started slipping. We stood it up, drained the water out, and i was on my way. The next day I decided to see how much a new belt was. You know, I was thinking like $40. HA! More like $120 or $140...I can't remember exactly. I made hubby go buy $20 worth of stuff to make my snorkels. Haven't had a problem yet, and it sure beats spending over a hundred for a new belt!

Quick Reply: 2001 Kodiak Belt Slipping