Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Radared Speed...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-1999, 03:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have to defend my speed because I know I did it. 61 on a Warrior isn't anywhere close to being outrageous. One more thing, how can the mags be right when they contradict themselves. When DirtWheels tested the Banshee, Sport, and 400EX against each other, the posted top speed of the Banshee was 67 MPH. In a later issue, on the article about drag racing quads it said stock Banshee's run 75 MPH. It's hard to trust printed top speeds when the change every month.

------------------
Kevin JA Works of Georgia

1996 Yamaha Warrior

Old 07-31-1999, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your right Kev. They change all the time. They are vary wrong about the Sport 400. The Sport will do atleast 65-70 because I can run near my friend on my warrior and it has been clocked at 65mph by a police radar. Well I just dont worry about speeds from magizenes because most are wrong. C'ya

1997 Warrior (It rulz)

Old 08-01-1999, 03:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You have to wonder about printed speeds when you actually ride with other bikes. For instance, I pretty much know my arctic cat 500 will do 50mph. Its speedo says 57 on level pavement so saying that it is lying, I can bring it down to 52 or 50 even. Thats being pessimistic. My 89 honda 300 2wd will run with it all day. Which ever one is ahead is the one that shifted out last. On the top end, the cat is maybe 1 or 2 mph faster. I rode with a friend 2 years ago who had a stock warrior while I was riding the honda. We rode about 6 miles of straight pavement, no dirt for a stretch. I had the honda pegged for about a mile, and never let off the gas once. No turns, pavement, all running at top speed here. The warrior could run right next to me in 4rth gear, and all my friend had to do to practically leave me sitting was hammer the throttle or shift up. He still had two gears left and I was maxed out on a bike that will go 50 presumably. I would estimate the warrior to be about 15 mph faster than that 300 honda after riding both on the same stretch, single, side by side or whatever you could imagine. When I read that the top speed of the warrior is in the 50's, I have to call B.S. on it. I never radared anything, but any person with sound judgement can attest to a quad being faster than some people like to say they are. Manufacturers and some supporters aren't likely to go around printing the idea that some quads can go in the 60-75 mph range anyway. Not without risking some anti-quad or safety groups breathing down their necks for making death machines. Modified bikes are different, because the manufacturer doesn't have a say in people souping up bikes to get outrageous speeds. Its like the tow rating for instance. I have this funny feeling that a Foreman 450 can probably pull a bit more than 850 lbs. Its just a safe figure for the manufacturer to print.

Old 08-02-1999, 12:55 PM
Trailblazer

When I was 12, my friend said that his uncle radared his XR75 at 61 mph. Of course my friend was lying, did not have an uncle, and made the story up to impress his friends. Since then, I have yet to run into anyone that has actually had a "insert family relation here" or a "friend" that would radar an unlicensed motor vehicle on a public road with government owned property. I suppose those of you who claim to have been radared are pretty good friends of these phantom cops. If so, could you please give us the Manufacturers name and Model number of the radar unit used. The radar band used for these would be helpful as well. If you are such good friends to have this person come out to your riding place or home to perform the radar test, then it should be easy to call them up and answer these questions for us all. I would really like to be proven wrong here... any takers? Or just fakers...

Chuck - '99 Banshee

PS - GPS speeds posted above are quite believable. Anyone GPS a Banshee lately?

Old 08-02-1999, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

sorry Chuck, i hate to tell you this but i'm not a lair. (not that your sayin that i am) i was (clocked) with a car in back of me on a paved road. that is how i got my speed. i don't no about the rest of these guys though. (not that you all are liars) i'm sure some people in here are telling some tale.

Old 08-02-1999, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

Look you guys! I can't call you guys liars. Even out to lunch probly not nice. Anyway, one of you said sport 400 speeds. I radared 4 of them flat out 67 was the fastest one. Instead of crying how fast it is get it checked. Polaris speedos in all the checking especially the electronic speedos are nuts on! 65 is 65. I will radar anyone for free if your in my neck of the woods.

It is so funny to see the look on your faces when you get the real speeds!!

Whats worse than wheelers is snowmobilers. When you gun them its like most's worst nightmare! tom in NW WI.

Been running radar for years.

Old 08-03-1999, 09:24 AM
Range Rover

Something to keep in mind, the test in Dirt Wheels stated top speed was measured on a either 200 or 300 yard strip of dirt. All of these Quads will reach a higher top speed on pavement and with a little more room. Lets not forget some ATVs run stronger than others. A friend owns 2 99 Scramblers and one is faster off the line and on topend than the other. I find 87mph on the Banshee hard to believe, the others seemed possible.
Scott.

Old 08-03-1999, 06:15 PM
Trailblazer

Chuck,
First of all, yes I am good friends with a cop that would radar unliscensed vehicles on public roads. Second of all, No I was not on a public road when i was clocked. Third of all, The "phantom cop" as you say lives in my neighborhood and no it doesnt take much to get him to ride his ATV around to the strip and take the radar to clock us.

------------------
Kevin JA Works of Georgia

1996 Yamaha Warrior

Old 08-03-1999, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

Great, so what kind of radar gun was used, which band and which model. Go ahead guys, make me look like a fool. I'd really enjoy being corrected.

And no, I'm NOT trying to pick a fight and be a butthead. Enquiring minds want to know...

Chuck - '99 Banshee

Old 08-03-1999, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am suprised to see that my claims are so controversial... for some reason you guys seem to be assuming that my machine is completely stock... That is not even close to being the case here. My machine is setup to run in the sand drags. It seems very little has been mentioned concerning the parameters of test or how the machine is set up.

To clarify a few points here is how and where my testing took place: Location was 2 miles east of Sutherland NE on a paved county road near my parent's home. It is a little used road near BFE as some people refer to it. It was a cool day I would guess it was around 75 to 80 degrees with little or no wind at an altitude of approx. 3200ft. The distance travelled was a little over 1/4 mile. Tires used were 20" ITP holeshots (new) , 14 tooth front countershaft sprocket, 41 tooth rear sprocket. Fuel was 108 motor octane produced by Fast racing fuels. Carb Main jets were 300's. The "clocker" was a former employee of my father's who recently was hired by the county. The testing actually came about when he asked how fast I thought it would go and I told him around 80MPH. He was not a believer and frankly I was curious. After a little jovial trash talking we decided to find out for sure.

Anyway if you want to see the mods done to my machine to judge how "stock" it is then visit my website and click on Travis's page. BTW the machine tested is the '98 Banshee.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Cliffs/3856/index.html">The Wrecking Crew Quadz Page</A>

One other note: If this speed is so unbelievable then why do stock Banshee's with pipes run 73 to 75 MPH in the 1/8th mile according to Dirt wheels? (not the best source, admittedly)

[This message has been edited by 350Banshee (edited 08-04-1999).]

Quick Reply: Radared Speed...