Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Badger carb problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 12:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought a 94 Badger for my sons, the problem is, it won't idle the same twice. And when riding it, it will stick at half throttle. I've cleaned it throughly, and made sure the cable, thumb controller, and the slide move freely. Ive also made sure the cable is not in a bind, or getting pulled when turning. What else can it be? It will do it just sitting in the garage, it will start just fine, and idle fine for a minute, then it will rev up like your giving it gas. Then after another minute or two it will slow back down and act fine. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 08-09-2001, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not familiar with this machine, but if memory serves me, either it or the Breeze has an electric choke. (So kids don't have to try to find the correct amount of choke to get the bike to warm up). If this is the case, then the ETS (engine temp sensor) might be bad or a wire might be shorted out. If it doesn't have the electric style, there might be something lodged in the enrichment valve (the little black button that you pull out) that is holding it slightly open. The third type of choke is the simple butterfly. Those really don't mess up. If none of these help, you probably have an air leak. Usually this only affects 2-strokes, but I have seen it in little honda engines. The easiest way to check for air leaks is to spray starting fluid where the carb goes onto the intake and where the intake meets the head, with the engine running. If you have an air leak the engine RPM will dramatically change when you spray the either. Most of the time, the engine will die but keep one hand on the kill switch incase the engine revs up. These are the only ideas that I can come up with now but if it don't help, e-mail me at Sandric@go.com.

Hope this does the trick!!!