Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 Kodiak clutch kit install

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got it in there. Made a noticable difference. I couldn't test it that much due to all the rain we had yesterday. I'll give it a good workout this weekend. It does hook up a lot sooner though.

I wanted to mention some things on the install to help others. The instructions says to use two bolts in the secondary sheave to loosen the belt. The secondary is the one on the left. You can use two of the cover bolts in the holes on it. This will push the disks apart and loosen the belt. We used a tow strap wrapped around the clutch bolt and tied to the rack to hold it while we loosened the bolt. Pain in the a** figuring that one out. Do NOT try to hold it with your hands, you will cut the **** out of yourself and bleed all over your clutch. We used a socket to take the weights out of the teflon covers. Another pain.

When reassembling the clutch, there is a gasket. Do no just stick it back any old way and hope it works, centrifugal force will throw clutch grease all over everything. (We noticed this after finding a relatively major part that we forgot to put back in and having to tear it down again) It goes on the clutch itself, in a groove, NOT on the clutch cover. I'm certain the grease is supposed to stay in the clutch assembly...

Overall, not to difficult. Shadetree mechanic skills, never seen one of these before, got it done in a couple of hours.

Old 08-09-2001, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crab...I went through the same thing as you did with that clutch nut. Ended up solving it the same way too. It's times like that I wish I had an impact