Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Opinion on grizz 660

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the grizz is a great machine! I have 300 miles on mine and no problems yet.It love the power on this thing and how it can easly wheelie for a big machine. I was just wandering how everybody else felt about there grizz 660. Tell the likes and dislikes and the comparison to other quads.

Thanks, John

Old 08-14-2001, 02:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sure the plastic floorboards and underbody protection is lacking, but other than that minor complaint, the only thing I have found that could have been improved is the IRS. It just doesn't have the articluation of the Sportsman or the Arctic Cat swingaxle. Even with the anti-sway bar taken off.

Old 08-14-2001, 02:12 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah your right about the suspension being better on the sportsman but the grizzly doesnt have bad suspension. I do think the grizzly should have a wider wheelbase I guess bigger tires would help that. But I think the grizzly is much faster and has a little more pop to it. And it gets alot better after breaking it in i would like to see a race between a sp ho and praire 650 and grizz after they all have been broken that would be interesting.

Old 08-14-2001, 03:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

No need to add in the HO, its going to lose to both. Just no match for the bigger engines. Kinda like the others were against the sportsman in the past. About suspension, I think the ride comfort is as good as any with the Grizz, but the thing doesn't keep all four wheels on the ground.

Old 08-14-2001, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I love to watch the rear end of all these quads when following them down the trail. The Grizz does not move its' wheels like the SP, but is pretty close to the H.O. When I had my H.O. I missed the ride from the SP, and for a long time thought it was different springs. After a bunch of measuring figured out the springs were the same, it was the new gas shocks that stiffened it up.
I'll bet the grizzly's shocks are the reason it doesn't "float" like a SP. The sway bar didn't hurt the SP a bit, and Andy has already tried his new Grizz without it and it didn't seem to make much difference.
So somebody needs to take off a shock and remove the spring and check the dampening, both rebound and compression. If there is a big gas charge, that will make it a bit more difficult. If there is a huge charge, and tons of dampening, maybe we could find a replacement shock. Get out your tape measures, maybe the old SP shocks will fit.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 08-14-2001, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

That would be neat if it fit but it probably wont. I want to get some bigger and wider tires but does it affect the performance. I really want bigger tires but i dont want to loose performance. If that was the case i probably get some better tires that are the same size but i little wider {because the ones on there now suck} but i dont know, what do you guys think.

Old 08-14-2001, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Had some vampire super swampers on my 2000 model grizzly and i hated them, awful on hardpack and did nothing but dig holes and got stuck easier that than the stock tires. for the tipe riding i do the stock tires on the 2002 grizzly do just fine but if you go to much bigger tire it will affect the performance.

Old 08-20-2001, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

The sway bar is limiting a wheel movement on 660. SP 500 is completely different ball game.

Old 08-21-2001, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer

So far after riding mine last two days I am very happy with it. It does need a wider base. I put on Maxxis All Traks 25 10x12 rear 25 8x12 front and with those Douglas Wheels 12x8 rear 12x7 front. This setup makes the rear about 49" and the front 46". The wider base may help the IRS work a little better but I can't tell you because I did not notice if my tires were in the air or not after running through some deep ruts. All I know is this ATV is the best suspension I have ever had. The power is great. Only complaint is the plastic floor boards and the plastic skid plates. Other than that this ATV rocks!!