Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-1999, 09:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently looked at a '94 Warrior that was for sale. The owner told me that he changed his sprocket sizes (both sprockets) to get more bottom end power. He is the second owner and said that the sprockets he bought the machine with gave the machine lots of top end but he continually stalled the machine in corners due to a lack of bottom end power. Now he says there is no problem. My question is, could those have been the original sprockets or aftermarket ones? Is it typical for the Warrior not to have a lot of bottom end? Also, what is the stock sprocket sizes (gearing) for the Warrior?

Thanks

------------------

Old 08-24-1999, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunc_n, the stock sizes for countershaft & rear sprockets are 13 & 40, respectively.I'm not sure how changing sprocket sizes would eliminate your friend's problem.. I would bet that the cause of his stalling out in corners was likely due to a failure to shift down, and of course drastically changing gear ratios would sidestep that failure, certainly at the loss of mid to top end. I run a 15 tooth c/s sprocket on my Warrior for more top end & I have more than enough torque at low end to suit my needs, so long as I downshift when appropriate.
I'd return to square one & replace the stock gearing if available. Depending on the performance after that, you could always replace one or the other at a time, testing as you go.
If you're erious about this machine, you might want to jack up the rear wheels & see how freely they turn in neutral. If there is any binding, it could be caused by using too small a c/s sprocket & creating a stres on the countershaft itself--very expensive! check the chain for stretch, also. You do this be taking hold of a link midway on the center of the rear sprocket & pulling it back. If you see more than 1/2 a tooth, the chain is shot.Too small a c/s sprocket can cause chain stretch as can normal wear & tear.

Cal, the Az hard packer

join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online at www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 08-24-1999).]

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 08-24-1999).]