Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Duties?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-1999, 07:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to see what those of you who have Wolverines use them for. Especially if any of you use them to hunt. I think its the best all around quad in several catagories and its class all its own.

Old 08-30-1999, 02:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You are correct about it being in a class of its own. The scramblers are not shaft drive so they are actually in a separate class. I liked everything but the 1st gear. I need a lower 1st for my personal preferences. I think it would be a fun bike though, and while it wouldn't be the best bet for hunting purposes, I think it would do just fine. There are a lot of hunters with them. Mainly guys who use it for a lot of recreational purposes the other 9 months of the year.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 08-30-1999, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I like my Wolverine for the uses I use it for. When trail riding, I can grind through the rough stuff with the 4wd utility and pick up the pace with 2wd sport machines.
I'm may get stuck more than the machines with the big tires and eat some dirt from the sport machines. At least I'm always in the pack having fun. After riding 30-70 miles, I feel much better than I did when I had a Honda TRX 350.

My duties for the Wolverine include driveway plowing, hunting, and woodcutting. It does pretty well at plowing snow and moving the piles away from the driveway. The most snow I had was 17". The Honda plows better due to the extra 100 pounds and the solid front axle. The other duties are similar in machine needs. It has to haul my gear into the woods. It works fine for me. It could use a little more fender if going through wet and mudding areas. I use a portable ladder deer stand that I carry on the Wolverine. It is transported on the front frame and rack because the rear rack sticks out too far. It also keeps the brush from hitting you in the face when driving in the dark to the hunting spot.

Room for improvement;
25" tires if first gear would be low enough to handle them.
A down turned exhaust extension to quiet the exhaust for hunting.
Also, I still need figure out what protection for the frame and C/V boots to buy.

Dave Armbruster '97 Wolverine

Old 08-31-1999, 04:56 AM
Trailblazer

I can't give you any useful info on useing the Wolverine for hunting but I can give some in a few other area's. I live in Central AZ, and do alot of rock crawling, jeep trails and other stuff. The first thing I did was installed an aluminum belly skid and aluminum a-arm/cv joint gaurds. It preforms very well in this kinda of terrain. It is light and the center of gravity is low, thus making it comfortable on off camber situations. First gear could be lower but it suits me fine. Things that I would like to improve are, adding 25" tires for more ground clearnce, Installing a high-compressoin piston, mild cam, torque stuffer and mabey a pipe to make up for the taller tires and added weight.
Earlier this year I went to the sand dunes(Buttercup) and I took a 85FL350 oddessey that I owned at the time and I also took along the Wolverine as a back up machine. I was lucky I did cause I broke a U-joint and rear shock on the oddy within the first 2 hours of riding, so I spent the next 2 days on the Wolverine. I adjusted the air pressure to 2.5 psi and headed off. I was very suprised on how the Wolverine preformed in the sand, I conquired most of the big hills and all of the bowls that I tried. All in all the Wolverine was way more fun than the oddessey in the sand.
I like my Wolverine alot, it has decent top speed, very good suspension(my opinion), comfortable ride and has disc brakes front and rear, no drums to fill up with water and muck. Click on the link below to see my Wolverine in action at the sand dunes.......Herbert C.

http://community.webtv.net/murdo77/QuadzillaZone

------------------
Herbert~~99Wolverine & 89LT520

Old 09-05-1999, 01:38 AM
Range Rover

I have a modified 95 Wolverine.
Im a member of Nor-Cal ATV Riders Club.
I trail ride and race it,in the 4 stroke class. Alot of guys dont know what to think when I pass them.
http://homepages.msn.com/YosemiteDr/...4x4/index.html