Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working on a 93 Banshee. FMF pipes, 1st over bore, shaved head. Dang thing won't idle. Most of the whole wheeler has been apart to powder coat the frame, but the owner says he didn't mess with the carbs. I tried adjusting the cable to hold the carbs open a bit more, but no luck. When I drive it and try to keep an idle using the throttle, it will rev and die, rev and die. I don't know what would cause this. I have never dealt with the safety crap on the throttle, could the problem be in there? I raised the needle up one notch also. running 220 jets. The owner told me it will only start on starting fluid when cold. I know that the top-end is completely fresh. There can't be more than 10 minutes on it. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Is there a way of by-passing the safety switches?

Old 08-26-2001, 03:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check that the choke tube is hooked up between the carbs. Mine won't start unless that is hooked up, but I'm not sure if this will cause it not to idle? Make sure that the carbs are in sync with each other, look through the round sight glass on each carb and open the throttle until you see the silver round dot in each window. Does the carbs still have the TORS switches on them? Check that all the electrical connections are plugged in. Check that the parking brake isn't on, if it is, it won't allow you to rev the throttle up.

Later, Doug